Diet related reasons for nails breaking

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esprit64

Diet related reasons for nails breaking

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello: For the second time in a few weeks, my dog's nail has split, this time--higher than halfway. I tend to her nail clipping every two weeks, this is not a nail being too long issue. I'm now wondering what my dog is lacking in her diet that is making her nails do this. Does anyone have any suggestions for certain foods/supplements to add to strengthen her nails? Thanks.
emmabeth

Re: Diet related reasons for nails breaking

Post by emmabeth »

I think I would take a dog to the vets for this - odd nail problems can be a symptom of a variety of problems, immune system issues, etc..

What is the dog fed on currently?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Esprit64

Re: Diet related reasons for nails breaking

Post by Esprit64 »

I am feeding her BRAVO wet (containing raw meats/veggies/fruits/no grains) and WELLNESS dry (no grains).

I'm trying to see the vet today.

I've been trying to find illustrations of a dog's nail anatomy--but, could not find one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I remember that the nail consists of a pink/nerve center, surrounded entirely ALL around by hard nail surface? This dog's nails are white, not black. As I'm looking at my dog's nails, I think that the nail surface underneath may be GONE! And, there's a hard crusty matter (maybe an extension of the quick?) that is on the underside of most nails. As I look at other nails, I can actually see fracture lines, much like you would see in a piece of wood about to crack in two. I have always had problems cutting my dog's nails, precisely because the quick likes to extend well into the length of the nail, a nail which obviously needs to be cut back to proper length because it's too long--but can't, because of the quick. I have never seen this problem in any dog I've had.