How to tell when a dog is in shock?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appa_valley

How to tell when a dog is in shock?

Post by Appa_valley »

Could anyone give me a link to a picture that shows the gums of a dog who is in shock? I know they're supposed to be white, but how white?

I just had to pull Harley out of our pool about 30 minutes ago and checked his gums, but they looked fine. The water was probably somewhere around 32 degrees because there was ice on the top. He's ok now though, in fact, he went BACK to the edge and just looked into the pool. He didn't even come in until he saw that I was getting him a slice of cheese. Crazy dog. He was splashing in between the skamper ramp AND the pool ladder when I pulled him out, oy vey. Thankfully, he was alright and acting like his old self afterwards. I think it scared me more than it scared him.

But anyway, I would just like to see what shocked gums look like in case there was ever an emergency, please and thank you.
***Melissa***

Re: How to tell when a dog is in shock?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'm only reading your post now, and frankly, I have no idea what their gums look like when in shock :?

But, how is he doing?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Appa_valley

Re: How to tell when a dog is in shock?

Post by Appa_valley »

Actually, he's doing pretty good, like it never happened at all. Each time he goes outside now he will stand at the edge of the deck and just look into the pool. I'm glad that it didn't traumatize him or anything.

He was completly hazard-prone that day, because later on he almost hurt his leg running UP the stairs (he got that from me). But yeah, even right after I pulled him out he acted like it never happened. I figured he would have been skitish around it.

We're going to put up some boards and make a wall around the pool so he can't get to it. And that way I won't be so paranoid everytime I take him out. :)