Fasting

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Fasting

Post by Wicket »

I've some say that a one day or half day fast (no food, plenty of water) is good for dogs since the energy used for eating/digestion can be now used for healing the body. What do you guys think?
Nettle

Re: Fasting

Post by Nettle »

It's an old-fashioned idea I think invented to save money feeding the dog!

Seriously, mine only eat once a day because they are workers, but most dogs are better fed twice daily. I don't go along with a whole day of fasting at all. But most pet dogs are way too fat, and IMO would do better with smaller meals :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I've just fasted Rupert for 24 hours due to a bad case of the squits and after listening to his tummy rumble and watching him keep going looking in his bowl I certainly won't be fasting him on a regular basis.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Some raw feeders fast for a day on the premise that dogs in the wild and wolves wouldn't get to eat everyday. I don't usually but if I give our dog 2 days worth of food in say one lamb joint because I have no way of cutting it up, then I'll try to skip one meal but not really two (and he's fed two meals a day)
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I don't skip meals either.

If one of them decides not to eat their meal, then they don't get something else to eat untill the next meal (Bibi sometimes skip meals).

When Striker needs to loose weight (he tend to gain weight SUPER fast), I just make his meals smaller and provide raw veggies to chew on to make him feel fuller.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams