Toilet Rolls

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

natastrophe

Toilet Rolls

Post by natastrophe »

Hi Guys,

I was looking up some DIY toys on the net and gave a couple of them a go. Thought I'd share one of the ideas, which I thought was great!

It was a toilet roll / paper towel roll (anything similar - the longer it is, the longer it'll keep the dog entertained, I guess?). The idea I found on the net suggested smearing peanut butter along the inside, then twisting it up and giving it to your dog to rip apart and lick out the inside.

Now... I'm still new to all of this, but wasn't sure about how healthy peanut butter is for a dog, on a regular basis. So, I stuffed mine with some other dog friendly food/treats and my dog thought it was the coolest thing! He kept poking his tongue in it, then figured out he could rip it apart and get to the food easier. He looked like he was having a lot of fun!

Re: Mess concerns
This is actually a very clean toy. I tried it outside first (just in case) and it was very much mess-free. Think of it this way: your dog isn't going to waste any food!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wellll, peanut butters not good for any of us really.... a smear here, a PB and J sammich there... its all good :D (See theres a reason i LOVE america, love the PB&J!)
emma-louise

Post by emma-louise »

ha i kept meaning to ask about this!! is it ok for my pup to have a chew on cardboard? he loves tissues and cardboard etc but ive been worried about him eating some cant see it doing him much harm but wanted to check just in case! suppose hes at least getting lots of fiber lol
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

I put peanut butter in Ellie's kong (only about a teaspoon full of) and she spends ages licking it out. I don't give her this too often though as I am sure its the equivalent of chocolate for us. She does love it though. :D

Re cardboard chewing, if your pup likes chewing cardboard, make the most of it! Ellie loves ripping up cardboard boxes, toilet roll insides, magazines, etc. I think there must be something quite satisifying about the ripping noise it makes and of course it helps them get that 'destructive' urge out of thier system. So for example on the occasions when Ellie is hell bent on chewing my furniture, or ripping up her bed, I give her some cardboard or 'recycle' my magazines by giving them to her to chew up. Its a win win as she gets to destroy stuff and I get to save my sofa!

Obviously it makes a hell of a mess (you could tell you friends you are making fake snow for Christmas) but I would far rather be cleaning up bits of paper than the remains of my house!!
emma-louise

Post by emma-louise »

:D true! little blighter manages to get at my mags no matter where i put them any way!
*Lucy*

Post by *Lucy* »

my puppy phoebe gets so excited about cardboard tubes she loves them, almost more than her squeeky toys but not quite! She also loves ripping paper up too which was funny at christmas whne she unwrapped her own present! She does have a weird fettish for tissues but we try not to let her eat them cos they're not great for the stomachs. Other than that cardboard makes a great toy!
Kyrasmom

Post by Kyrasmom »

Sorry to bump an old post, but I was reading this and wonder if anyone can answer my question. My pup LOVES to tear tissues and toilet paper rolls, but she ends up eating a lot of the tissue/cardboard. Could this hurt her? I figure it dissolves in her stomach and should pass pretty easy but ... thought I'd check.

7 month old GSD pup, btw.
prolibertate

Post by prolibertate »

Kyrasmom wrote:Sorry to bump an old post, but I was reading this and wonder if anyone can answer my question. My pup LOVES to tear tissues and toilet paper rolls, but she ends up eating a lot of the tissue/cardboard. Could this hurt her? I figure it dissolves in her stomach and should pass pretty easy but ... thought I'd check.

7 month old GSD pup, btw.
It's not good for them to eat something that isn't actually food. Also, some things may not dissolve; ever see a septic tank emptied? Not all tissue dissolves and cardboard won't either. They could cause obstructions in their intestines, which means surgery to correct it. Always make sure they don't ingest much, if any, of these substances. If we wouldn't eat it, our dogs shouldn't either.

As far as peanut butter goes, there are brands on the market with no sugar, and a little won't hurt a dog. Like anything else, moderation is the key. Stuff a Kong with peanut butter, freeze it, and watch how much your dog loves it!

As far as tearing things up goes, it may be cute now, but when you have a 80-100 lb GSD tearing up your magazines or newspapers because they were allowed to tear things up from a pup, it won't be so cute anymore. There are many, many toys for dogs on the market (Kong being #1 in my book) that will keep your dog happy and not bored, and make him use his mind...always a great thing to do for your dog.
~ MaryAnn