Ideas for activity toys--owner with arthritis

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dakine'smama

Ideas for activity toys--owner with arthritis

Post by Dakine'smama »

My boyfriend's parents have a (rather overweight) 2 year old lab named Cambria who does not get much exercise. IMO they should have opted for a different breed since they are not very active and actually have mobility issues due to rheumatoid arthritis. But they picked a lab and they love her so I'm trying to help by getting her some toys for Christmas. My German Shepherd has a Kong wobbler and he LOVES it. I suggested getting one for Cambria but my boyfriend worries that his mom will have trouble screwing the top on and off to load it with food. I've been looking at similar toys on amazon (I have amazon prime so I hope to buy from there!) and I'm having trouble figuring out which toys will work for her rheumatoid and also be durable enough for a chewer like Cambria. Any other ideas for mental stimulation and inside exercise would be really appreciated. I hate to see a great dog suffer from added weight because they can't take her outside much... :(
OHenry

Re: Ideas for activity toys--owner with arthritis

Post by OHenry »

Check out the thread "Exercise the Mind" viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135. (This is my first time trying to point to a thread so I hope it works!)

Other ideas:

-Your parents may be able to play fetch using a ball thrower--the dog will get some exercise without too much exertion required on their part.

-Feeding all or part of his regular meal using treat-dispensing toys such as the clamshell, tug-a-bottle, an everlast ball, a kong, or even a cardboard box.

-mind games made by dogit, nina ottosson, and kyjen are all available through amazon.

-If a dog walker is at all in the family budget, that would be very good. Or maybe there is a family down the street that is not ready for a dog of their own, but could take the dog for an hour or two for playtime on a regular basis.

-Many of the dog parks in my area are wheelchair accessible and appropriate for people of limited mobility.
Nettle

Re: Ideas for activity toys--owner with arthritis

Post by Nettle »

You may not be able to do anything about this but I have to say it:

No exercise in the world will help your parents' labrador lose weight unless they cut down her food at the same time.

You know it. I know it. We know it. They know it. But whether you can get them to do it - well, there's the task. :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS