ACK! He ate a plastic wrapper ....

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MichelleD

ACK! He ate a plastic wrapper ....

Post by MichelleD »

Hi All!

I know I don't post much these days, but things are going really great with Gordon and we've had some successes (a major one a few nights ago, but that's another post)...

He's not typically a food stealer, but last night he must have been feeling "saucy" because he swiped a package (or two) of those pre-packaged saltine crackers that you get at a restaurant. My son had brought a couple home from dinner, took them out of his pocket and put them down somewhere (not sure where, I wasn't in the room). I hear my son yelling at the dog and come out and ask what's the matter -- there's the dog chomping away (happily) on saltines AND the plastic wrapper. I tried to get it out of his mouth but it was too late -- he swallowed it.

Do you think this will pass easily, or should I call the vet? I told my husband about it last night and he laughed -- said "that dog ate the back of a leather shoe and he was FINE!" Which is true ... although I'm not sure how much of the shoe he actually swallowed ...

ARGH ... any thoughts? I'll check back later and I'll probably call the vet anyway, just for reassurance ... THANKS!
Beckyyy

Re: ACK! He ate a plastic wrapper ....

Post by Beckyyy »

How big were the wrappers?

Personally, I would just make sure he gets planty fo water and check his poo religiously. If he's constipated/off his food or water/seems distressed then pop him to the vet, but otherwise I would wait for it to pass.
MichelleD

Re: ACK! He ate a plastic wrapper ....

Post by MichelleD »

Thanks Becky!

He's still eating and drinking just fine, he's been peeing and pooping just fine ... the vet said the same thing -- keep checking the poop, and call them if his appetite or energy level changes.

This dog is gonna give me gray hair ... :roll: :D