Raised/elevated feeders.

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Beckyyy

Raised/elevated feeders.

Post by Beckyyy »

Apologies if there's already a topic on these, I had a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I have a Great dane and was told by numerous people that a raised feeder was a must for him to hep prevent bloat and stop his neck from hurting during feeding. When he was a few months old we errected a table for his water bowl (had great practical value too actually as it stopped it from getting knocked over) and I started feeding him by holding his bowl off the ground with my arms straight down to a suitable height (this is when he has mince, as chicken carcasses/wings and boney meals are usually eaten off the floor/outside). I then read that raised feeders increase the risk of bloat by over 110% in this study: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=h ... ba03e240a4

Although if they increase the risk of bloat, in a breed which is already mroe at risk from it, I don't want the odds to rise but with Duke currently at 33inches to the shoulder it's quite a way to have to lean down for his bowl from the floor.

So, what's the general opinion on them?
Nettle

Re: Raised/elevated feeders.

Post by Nettle »

Nobody actually knows :? raised feeders were "vital" for years and then ideas changed and now we are supposed to feed from the ground.

I think the best we can do is feed bloat-prone breeds sensibly (nothing for a couple of hours before/after exercise, nothing with soya in, two or three small meals a day rather than one big one, avoid high-cereal brands of food) and watch them like hawks.

Emmabeth has some first-hand experience here - she'll be along soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS