Tear stains

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Tear stains

Post by Wicket »

My Poodle usually has a lot tear stains to the point where some has permanently stained her beautiful coat. The vet gave us I-Lid N Lash but it didn't seem to go any good and hence I stopped using it. I was wondering what's the cause of tear stains and if there are other treatments for them. Thanks! :)
maximoo

Re: Tear stains

Post by maximoo »

There is stuff sold in pet stores but not sure of the name or if its the same stuff you tried. I have heard the staining is from iron(or iodine) I've read that yogurt helps.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've no personal experience but have read that wiping the face down with soda water helps.

Does your dog have an eyelash or tear duct problem? Many poodles do.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

The vet checked her for any eye problems and she doesn't have any.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wicket wrote:The vet checked her for any eye problems and she doesn't have any.

That's good news :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

poodles and bichons seem to have problems with tear staining. We have recommended the use of an antioxident product called select, the vast majority of dogs we have recommended this to have stopped staining. NOW, please note, the fur that is already stained, will remain stained until it is groomed out (hair cut :D ) but from then on out, we have not seen any new staining.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

This is a very common problem among spaniels, poodles, and similar. We use a product called Angel Eyes and it seems to be helping. Using baby wipes is good too.