fireworks problems

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

woodster

fireworks problems

Post by woodster »

Ok i wasnt really sure where to post this but i was wondering what your opinions were:
I was watching tv today and there was a vet on talking about pet safety over halloween/bonfire night. As a new dog owner i have recently discovered that dogs can be absolutely terrified by fireworks! The vet mentioned these plug-ins that release natural pheromones or something that help calm the dog down so they dont get as scared. I was wondering what your opinions were on whether this might actually work or if its just pure rubbish!
thanks! :D
Mattie

Re: fireworks problems

Post by Mattie »

Both :lol: This works for some dogs but not for others, I got one for one of my dogs, it didn't work for him but did on my other 2.

There are many things to try, skullcap & Valerian, Serene-um, Dene's Nerve tablets, burning lavender oil, don't use the plug-ins. TTouch, EFT, Reiki etc will all help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Re: fireworks problems

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Another thing you can do (for fireworks and thunderstorms) is to have a party :mrgreen:
What that means is to do something really fun (fun for your dog) while the fireworks are going of, smile, speak in a happy voice - they learn to associate the noise with good stuff. It won't work for all dogs either - some dogs are so sensitive that they shut down, and no party will take their minds of the fireworks, but for some dogs it does help, so it's worth a try. :wink:

Never do the "aw, poor baby, you must be so scared, come sit with me, I'll keep you safe" thing - they then think that they are supposed to be scared of fireworks, because you seem scared of them too.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams