In season question

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

In season question

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Bibi's in season - I just want to make sure everything that's happening to her is indeed normal, and if there's anything I should do different?

Her ladybits have been swollen since 23 Ocotber, which means it's 12 days now that it's been swollen.

From the 23rd she and Striker has been licking her lady bits alot. Other than that - Striker is behaving pretty good I think.

Changes I noted over the past few days:
- Striker doesn't try to do anything with Bibi, but he is absolutely glued to her. He doesn't leave her alone for a second. He sits next to her, he stands close to her when she wees, he sleep next to her (he also decided to move downstairs since Bibi moved out of the room :roll: ).
- Striker does not attempt to "do anything" with Bibi (which I'm very happy with)
- Bibi changed into a little tart :lol: I don't know how to describe it, but she seems to flirt with Striker (if that makes any sence)
- And the one thing I was not expecting - Bibi humps Striker. His face, his back, his leg, anywhere she finds a place :shock: The first time I saw this I was so shocked and all that came out was "Bibi, what on earth...?" But since then I have been more prepared, so I watch her closely and give her a 10 second time out when she humps him
- Since they now decided to move downstairs I'm not really sure if she humps him at night. Will it be better to let them sleep seperately?
- I don't know how to describe it, but her eyes are different - it as if she sometimes have a far away look in her eyes...maybe I'm imagining it?
- And her hair is really really soft.

Please comment on whether all this behaviour is normal, what I should do different or start doing?

Also - will there be a permanent change in her after her season? (Like being more mature or something - I don't mind, I just want to be prepared if there's anything I need to be prepared for)

And - I know all dogs are different, but approximately how long will all of this (including the swollen lady bits) continue?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: In season question

Post by Nettle »

Yes, that is all normal, yes she will be a lot more mature after her season. Most seasons last 21 days, but I am always careful for another week after that. Her hair is soft because of the hormone changes - good for you that you have noticed it. :)

Dogs are pretty specific about mating - the b itch won't allow the dog to mount until she is ready, and the dog will back off when told. 10-14 days is the most receptive time but b itches can and will mate outside those times. Some neutered dogs can mate and tie (do you know about the tie?) but it is better if they do not because there is risk of injury. There is a tiny bone in the penis, and also if the b itch struggles in the tie, the dog can be injured quite badly. So I'd be keeping them apart when I couldn't supervise directly - believe me, when you don't want it to happen it can be quick: when you do, it can take ages!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'll keep them seperate, thanx Nettle :D
No, I don't know about the tie?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Okay - briefly, and for younger readers I hope not too graphically -

Mating starts with the dog over the top of the b itch, but the dog does not erect fully until penetration. Then the b itch's vulva closes over a big circle of tissue at the base of the dog's erect penis, which means they cannot separate. This is called the tie. Once the tie has occurred, the dog turns so that he is back to back with the b itch, and they stay this way for an average of twenty minutes, can be a LOT longer or a lot shorter.

During the tie, both dogs are very vulnerable. If they struggle or try to pull apart, physical damage can be done, sometimes quite bad. Experienced breeders take care to hold them together during the tie.

The b itch controls the length of tie. Once she has relaxed, the dog can slip out. Until she does, he can't.

It sounds awkward, it looks painful, it's an intriguing system, and all canids do it.

***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

:shock:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Nettle wrote:Yes, that is all normal, yes she will be a lot more mature after her season. Most seasons last 21 days, but I am always careful for another week after that. Her hair is soft because of the hormone changes - good for you that you have noticed it.
Sorry, just to make a 100% sure:
The 21 days (more or less) = That is the time when the lady bits are swollen?
And the week after that (that I also have to be careful) the lady bits aren't swollen anymore?

The seperate keeping when I can't supervise is hell :lol: They cry when they are seperate, and I give them all kinds of stuff to keep them busy with, but NOOO, it seems they only have ONE thing on their minds :roll: :twisted: :lol: I can't wait for this season (and the week after that) to be over :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The lady bits never go back to the way they were Melissa, they will always be a bit bigger, this is how my vet knows if a ***** has had a season or not, they change. :lol:

When I first took Dolly to the vet just after I got her, the vet looked said she hadn't had a season and she was right, 3 months later she came into season. I have abandoned my little girl, she is in the vets now waiting to be spayed. :cry: It is so quiet here. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aww, how long does she have to stay at the vet? Hopefully she'll be home soon :D

This in season stuff is difficult :? :lol: Maybe it's because I'm blonde :lol:

If the lady bits don't go back to normal again - How will I know when the 21 days are over?
(Then I know to be carefull for another week, then relax :D )
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have to phone the vets about 3pm and hopefully she will be home this evening, they don't keep animals in unless they have to for the animal's sake.

Her lady bits will reduce in size but not over night, it will take a couple of weeks, to work out how you will know count the days from when she started, it is how I did it. I then added another 7 days to be sure:lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

:lol: Yes, I'll count the days.

But what ih she's different and her season is longer than 21 days? How will I then know?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am like Nettle, I add a week to the 21 days, if you do that she will be safe.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Will one week be enough?

Oh, I'm being paranoid now :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The first season may not be textbook, because hormones are sorting themselves out, and b itches can vary enormously in what and how. Her ladybits will shrink back but not quite as neatly as before. You WILL know when she has finished because you are observant and you know your dogs. She will act differently, and so will Striker. She will stop humping him, tell him off if he asks How about it? and he will lose interest also.