My dog attacked - does he need shots?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jesse

My dog attacked - does he need shots?

Post by Jesse »

My dog was attacked by a pit bull today. He has two - half inch size cuts under his chin. He is 15 months old.
Do I need to bring him for any kind of shots???

Thanks a lot!
ckranz

Re: My dog attacked - does he need shots?

Post by ckranz »

I am very sorry to hear that your dog was attacked. I know that it can be frightening. Depending on how much you are able to do, I would clean the wound areas and apply neosporin or other antibacterial spray or cream to prevent infection. As long as your dog is current on vaccines and no signs of infect show up you do not have a real need to go to the vet.

If your dog is experiencing pain, will not let you tend the wound area, Bite area has turned red and feels warm to the touch. Go to the vet. These are signs of infection and you will need antibiotic for treatment and if painful, pain meds for comfort.

Note any vet visit or care save your receipt. If you state laws are strict liability the own of the dog that caused the damage is responsible for payment of vet services. likewise if your dog caused any injury requiring treatment, you would be responsible for the other dogs vet bills and this all would be regardless of whose dog started it. In any event you will need the proof of treatment for court should you choose to pursue that route.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thanks a lot for you info. it's very important and very appreciated.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Apart from the physical injuries your dog will be very stressed for a few days.

Rescue Remedy in their water helps, and there are others stuff too, which I cannot remember, but Nettle and Mattie will be able to help.

Try to keep it very low key for him for the next few days, and try to take him on walks at times / places where he wouln't meet other dogs on walks.

(((hugs))) it must have been a terrible experience for both of you
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It would be wrong for any of us to decide for you whether you should go to the vet or not. I wouldn't, but I am used to dealing with bite injuries, so I know what to do and when a vet visit would be appropriate.

What I can say is - if your dog has been bitten, there are two more holes you have not yet found, and you need to know where they are. Dogs have four canine teeth - two top, two bottom - and these are the ones that make the holes. It is very easy to overlook the other two holes unless you are used to searching for them, and the hidden holes are often the deeper ones as they are made by the bottom jaw, which is the one that exerts the pressure.

I hope you and your dog feel better really soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS