Neutering?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Neutering?

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

I have finally convinced my parents to fix my male Labrador. After i said i would pay for it. Anyways, i'm just worried about one thing... He is 8 years old and i just want to know if you think he would be ok for surgery. We spayed our female when she was 6 years and she was perfectly fine. But duke is not in very good shape, he has terrible arthritis. I don't know if that will affect, i just want him to be ok. After this is done he will get a check up i think he has hemorrhoids, So i really want them gone.

But i was just wondering if it sounds like he has hemorrhoids, Duke's rear end is always bleeding, not really runny but since he has white fur it shows allot, anyways it gets his rear all bloody. Sometime when you lift his tail you can see red coming out of the anus, It's mostly their after he has gone to the bathroom but other times it is just there. His poop is usually soft and green Not really diarrhea , his poop i will say is quite small sometimes. There are some times where there is blood in his poop.
If that makes any sense i would greatly appreciate if some one could help me.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

runlikethewind

Re: Neutering?

Post by runlikethewind »

Have you taken him to the vet yet? This sounds serious.. The green poop is just bile for passing through too quickly but I'm not sure, if this has been going on some time, why he has not been taken to be looked at.

Also why are you neutering?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What has the vet said about the bleeding? In the UK and I suspect it is the same in the USA, it is illegal not to give a dog vet treatment when they need it. You would be better spending your money sorting this out than neutering unless it is needed for health reasons. Personally if there are no problems and the other dog is spayed, I wouldn't bother getting him neutered.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

This dog needs urgent veterinary investigation. There is something wrong and you need to know what it is.

Neutering is pointless at his age (unless there is great risk of him siring a litter), and can lead to all sorts of problems such as the endocrine system going into freefall. Typically the dog can become hypothyroid. This can lead to further physical problems and behavioural issues too.

Take him to the vet and let us know how you get on.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

There are any number of problems he could have causing these symptoms and you need to have those looked at first before considering neutering.

If he isnt given free access to random entire dogs and is kept indoors or securely fenced in, then there is no real reason to neuter him. If he IS at risk of, or already, fathering litters left right and center, then yes... but the health problem he currently has needs looking at first.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Thanks for all your reply's i still want to get him neutered though, he often licks him self there and starts licking every thing else Including the table and their is no way to stop him. i just want him healthy . But before i do that I'm going to have my mom call the vet to get an appointment in. I don't know on what date but very soon. We took him to a vet to get his shots and they had to take his temperature, he never said anything about it so i don't know. I asked about it and he completely ignored me. But i will try to go to a new vet.

We also do have other dogs, two females. But both are fixed.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Why do you think getting him neutered is a good idea? If the licking is bothering you, it may be due to whatever is making him ill.

Let us know how you get on at the vet's. Bad vet for ignoring you. :evil: Hope you get a better one this time.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Solve his health problem and he may not lick there. Don't your bitches lick themselves? Mine do, I don't like it but to a dog it is normal.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

We got him a appointment for Next Tuesday, The main reason i really want him to be fixed is get him healthier, And because where i live its an extra $150 To license him. When females are only $100. He is $250. Only because he is not fixed. It is ridiculous. When getting him fixed is only $75.

Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Getting a dog neutered is not always healthier for the dog, especially an older dog, all we are saying is make sure it is good for your dog, do a search looking for both sides of the argument, there isn't many, in fact most only give the good side which is wrong, we have been brainwashed into neutering everything we can and that is wrong as well. We can only make the best decision for our dogs by gaining as much knowledge as we can, we have done that and are trying to pass this knowledge onto others. We are not telling to to neuter him or not, that has to be your decision, but please make sure it is in his best interests and not yours, making it money is in your interest not his.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Excessive licking - like the air or furniture is a sign of stress. I don't think neutering will help this - far more important to get his bowel bleeding sorted out. Please ask you Mom to sort the priorties out. The bleeding is serious.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

While I cannot see your dog, what you describe sounds very much to me like perianal adenoma. Which is one of the diseases we attempt to avoid by neutering at an earlier age. You need to address this issue with your veterinarian as soon as possible.