One Lesson Learned - F/U on Blackie

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bmbutler

One Lesson Learned - F/U on Blackie

Post by bmbutler »

Took Blackie to the vet first thing on Tuesday after rough weekend of her being more hostile to Misty and having diarrhea on and off for a week. Vet checked her out including doing the yearly tests that she was due to have next month while she was there.

I haven't liked that after having the heartworm test as a single test, Vets now lump it in with lyme disease and another one I can't think of . For different reasons, I have refused the heartworm test in the past, because I have always given preventative to my dogs. This time I let them do it (last year too) and Blackie's lyme disease came back positive for exposure. Running further test (thank goodness for pet insurance - Embrace is great BTW) to determine if she actually has it. Would not have know because she wasn't displaying any lyme disease symptoms.

Her tummy was upset, but no obstructions or foreign bodies.

Just thought I would offer my 2 cents on the lyme disease test.
Blackie's and Misty's Mom
Fundog

Re: One Lesson Learned - F/U on Blackie

Post by Fundog »

Great post, thanks for sharing. They always say "hindsight is 20/20." It is certainly true in your case, isn't it? Well I'm glad you've got some possible leads to explore now, and with it, some possible answers to work with. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

Follow-up on Blackie and Misty. Blackie has finished taking her antibiotics for her Lyme Disease dx. Problem still with her occasionally attacking Misty out of nowhere (that I can see). Dog trainer coming on Friday (positive reinforcement trainer) to begin behavior modification. She told me that this is actually quite common especially with females. Misty is now one year old and seems to have used up her puppy "green stamps" in what Blackie will let her get away with according to trainer. Last night Blackie did it on my bed when Misty came up for a snuggle with me. VERY scary.

Otherwise, they play well together outside and in, and I even took a picture of them yesterday laying on the ground enjoying the day.

They are being boarded at a familiar place over Christmas weekend. Owner had same problem with his 2 dogs. Started not allowing them on the furniture with him or his wife. Crated at night. Stopped problem after 2 weeks. Can't hurt to try. Very nervous that Blackie will physically hurt Misty if this keeps going.

Anyone else had this happen suddenly to their dogs"
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I don't have two dogs, but Fundog might be able to give you some insight as she has two girls.

Your friend solved a similar issue after two weeks...did they say anything besides not letting the dogs on the furniture and crating at night?
bmbutler

Post by bmbutler »

Nope, he said he was going through the same thing with sudden fighting with each other, and once they stopped allowing them on the furniture, it stopped.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

While it is true that I have two female dogs, there are some vital differences in their relationship: 1) They are both spayed. 2) They are not littermates, and in fact, were each brought into our household several years apart. 3) While they are both in the "sporting group," they are each a different breed and several years apart in age. 4) Our second dog (Dottie) was an adult rescue when we introduced her to our older dog (Annie), and so we did not have the puppy/older dog dynamics to deal with.

However.... due to the amount of excess "baggage" Dottie brought with her (she had a rather traumatic past), she exhibited a great amount of insecurity and fear aggression toward Annie. However, through extra cautious supervision and management techniques, things calmed down dramatically between them within a week. Two years later, Annie and Dottie are very good friends and even display affection toward each other! This afternoon they were out in the backyard having a good romp together in the snow, pouncing and tousling with each other. Too bad I don't have video; it was pretty cute. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

bmbutler wrote:Nope, he said he was going through the same thing with sudden fighting with each other, and once they stopped allowing them on the furniture, it stopped.
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of info being left out. Can your friend give you more insight into what else was done other than forbidding them from going on furniture?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I agree with Noobs: I seriously doubt being allowed on furniture/forbidden on furniture has much, if anything, to do with it. Both of my girls are allowed on the furniture, and it they will even snuggle together on the same couch or bed.

On the other hand, in the first 48 hours after we brought Dottie home, it was Annie that did not allow Dottie up on the furniture with us. But after 48 hours, Annie lifted her "ban," of her own volition, and Dottie has been given full privileges and all the same freedom Annie has. But that was clearly a "dog thing," and had nothing at all to do with us humans. We actually invited Dottie up on the furniture with us, but Annie politely and firmly said "no" and blocked her every time. Like I said, after 48 hours, Annie lifted her "ban." We humans are still somewhat clueless about everything that was said between the two, or Annie's reasons for what she did, but obviously Annie had clear control of the situation, and it has worked out for the positive. 8)

And I should add: When we saw that Annie was not allowing Dottie on the furniture, and that Dottie obeyed her, inspite of our own invitation, we did not force the isssue. Instead we allowed Annie to exert her own "seniority" over Dottie, and honored the dog language that was going on, letting things work out. The only time we interfered was to prevent actual fighting from breaking out, and to keep the dogs safe from harming each other.