Royal Canin or Willowy?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LiviandBailey

Royal Canin or Willowy?

Post by LiviandBailey »

Hello everyone! I gave a 5 month old Jack Russell and am currently living in Greece.I am concerned about her diet and have been for some time now. We cant get hold of premium food brands and I have only been able to find Willowy and Royan Canin A3 that everyone is talking about here.I have also been offered Happy Dog is that any good? Can anybody tell me witch of these three are best for the time being? Also, can I feed her exclusively on dry food or does she need wet food in her diet aswell? I am currently feeding her pedigree canned food ( I know it is at the bottom of the rank food) and Royal Canin A3 dry food.
thank you!! :D
Wicket

Re: Royal Canin or Willowy?

Post by Wicket »

Anyone here know about Willowy dog food?

LiviandBailey, do you mind listing the ingredients and nutrition information? I couldn't find too much about via Google.
LiviandBailey

Post by LiviandBailey »

Sorry for answering so late. I found some information but it was in French. Ive translated it as best I could. Here goes...

Ingredients: Cereals(rice min.10%), meat and animal byproducts(poultry min. 10%), fish and fish byproducts, oil and fat, byproducts of vegetable origin, yeast and mineral substances.

Average analysis

Crude protein 30%
Fat 11%
Cellulose 2,5%
Mineral matter 5,9%
Moisture 10%
Calcium 1,2%
Phosphorus 1,0%

Vitamins and minerals per kilo
Vitamin A 14.000 U.I
Vitamin D3 1.500 U.I
Vitamin E 80 mg
Copper 15 mg
B.H.T ++

Thank you!! :)
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Just some thoughts, you do as you like. :D BHT is a chemical preservative linked to behavioral issues in canines. NOT all canines, but some canines. Vitamin A is pretty high, I think, and since vitamin A is fat soluable and can become toxic. What, I wonder is mineral matter? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Also the protein level is pretty high, once again NOT all dogs, but some dogs have some wicked behavioral issues from protein levels over 20-22%. (2 out of my 5 are like this) Royal Canin has done some excellent research work in the past, and many of their prescription diets are absolutely cutting edge. You decide :D
LiviandBailey

Post by LiviandBailey »

Thank you for your advice! :) I have a Jack Russell so I don't think Ill be needing behavioral problems! :lol:
She seems to really like the Royal Canin I'm already giving her now but do I need to add anything to her diet? Maybe soak the food with some milk or water or feed her a wet diet too??
:D
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

It is up to you, some dogs prefer a dry food, others won't eat anything but canned. I can tell you this dry food is much more nutritionally dense than are moist foods, so I would try to get her to eat the bulk of her diet in the dry. You can top the food with a spoonful of canned, or mix it in with the dry. If she likes the pedigree canned, it isn't death in a can. If you are concerned with it being by products, don't be. Some of the best dog food I know of is made with by-products, the reason for it is that by products (beaks, feet, intestines) are very rich sources of protein, but do not carry the high levels of phosphorus that "meat" does. So, in order to keep phosphorus levels down (to prevent kidney damage) they use the by-products along with meat. It isn't like feeding your dog road kill, I promise. If your dog likes pedigree, the little bit she will get mixed with her dry will be just fine. Just be sure to monitor your dog to be sure she isn't getting too chubby :D
LiviandBailey

Post by LiviandBailey »

Thank you!!!! :D I like you idea of just topping the dry food with a spoon of canned so Ill try that! :) Thank you again for your help!