Puppy with treat sensitivities, what can I use?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Blansten

Puppy with treat sensitivities, what can I use?

Post by Blansten »

Just got Moe last Friday (he was 8 weeks old) and made the mistake of over treating him to get him to love his crate. It worked but led to a weekend of vomit, diarrhea a panicked visit to the vet and more vomit and diarrhea as I discovered which treat was the offender. I let his stomach settled and he bounced back fast eating only his Royal Canin kibble. Tried a different less rich treat yesterday to get him more comfortable in the car. The results were far far less severe as I only gave him 4, but basically he got gas (not pretty) and his stool got very soft but never runny. This morning things are closer to normal and I plan on sticking with kibble for now.

The problem is his kibble works for getting him comfortable in certain situations but it's not great for training. I am not trying to do much at the moment, really just work on sitting and distracting him from playing tug of war with clothing. Someone suggested baking chicken fillets until they were tough and cutting them up (which I will do) does anyone else have any other advise. I really want to start with some easy basics to get him going and to give us something to do together that doesn't involve his mauling my arms.

He is young and Olde English Bulldogges have some of the same sensitivity issues as Bulldogs. He is also the definition of the word stubborn and I want something tasty to entice him when he decides he no longer wants to walk on the leash (I can't carry him forever). I am hoping his stomach will settle in the next few weeks because I want to change his food but at this point the vivid and brutal memories of this weekends cleanup :shock: make me nervous to try anything. He is like a 90 year old man trapped in a puppies body.

Does anyone have any advise?
Noobs

Re: Puppy with treat sensitivities, what can I use?

Post by Noobs »

If he's nearly 9 weeks old now the walks shouldn't be that long anyway (10 minutes at a time at most) so if you're trying to go for longer that could be the problem.

I wouldn't bake the chicken fillets until they're "tough"...I would roast or boil chicken breasts so they'll be tender and easy to cut into tiny pieces. Add some mild spices to them to make them smellier and more enticing.

I use beef babyfood and let Murphy lick out of the jar. When the jar is empty I put peanut butter in it and freeze it and use that as a treat as well.

I hope you post some more pics - he's such a cutie in the avatar!! :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There are much better dog foods than Royal Canin, I live in the UK so can't recommend any but others will be able to. The longer the list of ingredients the more additives in the food which isn't good for dogs, like children they can react to additives.

Vary the rewards, they don't need to be treats all the time, a short play session with you, praise, anything that he will work for, treats do help but not all dogs will work for them.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

One of the biggest problems with commercial treats is the excessive ammounts of salt, sugar and fat. We once had a borderline diabetic Labrador that when his treats were removed, regained normal blood levels. This sugar, fat and salt are all very hard on some doggy digestive systems. He does'nt need an entire meal for a treat, a very small piece (the size of a dime) of skinless roasted chicken would be something safer to try, and as Mattie advised LOTS of verbal praise.
Many owners because we love our wonderful dogs so much really OVER treat, which can lead to pancreatic disorders, obesity, and as above if the wrong treats are used diabetes. Have you tried any type of vegetables such as green beans (Never used canned the salt is too high) fresh or frozen?
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hello Blansten

Here are the treats I have used and use for my border collie with a sensitive tum. PS As well as looking more carefully at the treats I gave him, I also looked into his food and I have not looked back having now moved onto an all natural diet. Anyway ..... It may be the diet which is causing the upset - who knows. Only you will know that with trial and error. Back to the treats then that I have found good.

As already stated, only tiny tiny morsels can be given as rewards.

Liver cake - In the electric chopper (I can't remember the correct name!!), I mince up lambs' liver, add a clove of garlic, add some rice flour and mince it all together, smooth the paste thinly out into baking trays. Bake until it looks cooked.. basically. Simple!! Put a pizza roller through it into the mini morsels you want. Freeze into bags, can be used frozen.

Anything fishy - here in UK, we can buy little morsels of dried fish like sprats etc. They are great for sensitive tums.

If I have not got around to baking or buying fish treats, I make do with tiny tiny pieces of lactose=free cheese and pure ham, pure chicken, pure beef etc. I like to buy free range and outdoor reared ham and chicken so that can get quite expensive so I try to make the liver cake really. The idea of cooking some chicken breast yourself is good - I have done that too. Again, just make loads and freeze it.
Blansten

Post by Blansten »

Noobs:
The walks are really only to my car and when I take him out at work, he is very difficult to walk still because most of the time he just sits there until I call him energetically (you have to love the Bulldog = stubborn) it's never for more than 5 minutes at a time. I will try the boiled chicken and baby food (not all at the same time :wink: ) thanks! I would love to post more pics and will do so when I am home. I may be biased but I think he's pretty cute.

Mattie:
I agree with your thoughts on Royal Canin I am not that impressed with it but it is what he has been eating and I want to be careful about switching after how sick he got over the weekend, he seems to have an especially sensitive stomach. The treats I used were all natural and I think probably just too rich for him. I have been using praise, his favorite toy and his kibble so far but would like to have more options in my arsenal until I find what gets him really motivated, especially for his more stubborn moments.

Josie:
Thanks for the tip I will look into some vegetable options as well. The treats I have tried have been all Natural/Holistic but maybe just too rich.

run like the wind:
I agree about all Natural foods, I was going to switch to Wellness but after his reaction to their puppy treats I am rethinking that and doing more research. Thanks for the ideas and recipes.

Thanks again to everyone. I haven't had a dog in a very long time and am feeling a bit overwhelmed, things get better every day though and this site has been a huge help. :D
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I used boiled chicken breasts (boiled for about 20 minutes) for treats, and they work great. Small pieces of cheese are great (although I wouldn't used them too often for too long when you're just introducing it). Also, using portions of their meal for when you're training is great.

(I feel like I should be a little more long winded here, but I'm exhausted. Just wanted to throw in my two cents. :) )