dog food?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogzRule1996

dog food?

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I would like to know the best brand of dog food that's CHEAPER than all those super good ones. My mom won't buy any of those expensive ones like Buffalo or that Timberwolves one or Nature's something Prairie (gosh I'm bad with names :shock: ). Currently we're feeding Kirkland (I know, that's not exactly the BEST brand, but it was fairly cheap and it was nearby). I think the dogs are getting sick of it after eating that for a few months, so what's a better cheaper brand for them?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Emmy'sMama

Re: dog food?

Post by Emmy'sMama »

You might look into Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul or grain free Taste of the Wild--both manufactured by Diamond. I wouldn't say they are the very best, but good, especially for the price. I would personally stay away from the very fishy blend of the Taste of the Wild because last I checked, it seems likely that Diamond preserves their fish meals with ethoxyquin. Actually, I think Kirkland is a pretty good food for what you pay for it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Max loves his Kirkland. Unfortunately I no longer have a costco card :( I'd say keep them on the kirkland but embellish it from time to time. I add low sodium broth (& water) i sometimes shred 1/2 sl cheese or ham or an egg or add a little leftovers just decrease kibble a bit if you do this. Try to give them raw meaty (frozen) bones or a raw frozen chicken legs/wings on occassion too. Its all about variety. 8)
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

Yes, good idea...and don't be afraid to add veggies and fruits. Emmy loves apples and carrots...also pumpkin and plain yogurt.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

So what if I were to add some yogurt one day, then maybe a bit of olive oil (for they're skin or fur or something?) and change the flavor (right now chicken but we went to buy the lamb flavored one today). Can dogs tell the different flavors?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I remember when we gave max only dry food, he was so picky. We feed him his dinner around 4:30 pm. If we gave him beef flavor, he'd leave it alone until after we had finished our dinner to make sure that he wasn't going to get any better tasting tidbits. He would eat the kibble around 7-8 pm. If we gave him chicken flavor, he'd do the same thing, but he would eat it around 6:30-7pm. When we gave him lamb, he ate it as soon as we put it in the bowl. He always gets the most excited and starts spinning in circles when we cook lamb for dinner. Now, we always give him lamb kibble and mix in some wet food, carrots, rice, apple/applesauce, or a tiny bit of peanut butter. Max also likes it if i moisten the kibble.
--dontpugme
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

What foods are BAD for dogs (grapes, chocolate, etc.). Is onion bad? I might have accidentally dropped some and they gobbled it up. And why is it that dogs adore human food but dislike they're own food (except for TREATS :? )
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Here is a link to stuff that is harmful to dogs:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5208

Yes, onions are dangerous, although I doubt a tiny piece will cause harm
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Reason they prefer human food - it's real food. :lol:

That's why so many of us have changed our dogs from processed dog food to real food too. And once we improve our dogs' diet - we tend to improve our own as well - because we see how much better they are on real food than junk.

You have to feed what your Mom wants to buy, but if you add some fresh food when you can, it will be good for your dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I love keeping some cooked yam or sweet potato around for Zelda to add to her food.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

DogzRule1996 wrote: My mom won't buy any of those expensive ones like Buffalo .....
blue buffalo isn't that expensive. it's literally a dollar or two different from petsmart in California vs the more "main stream" and "cheaper" brands. I found a local pet store that sells larger bags than petsmart which works out even cheaper. I just now finished one that I bought back in March. It's roughly a 20 pound bag. But I do have a smallish dog, 18ish pounds. My wife thinks I am being "ridiculous" wanting to feed Jack higher quality food. He is a "dog" is her attitude. we can afford a lot more expensive than blue buffalo, but getting her on board for even that wasn't easy. I supplement with real food too such as real chicken, lamb, buffalo, turkey, peas, carrots, watermelon etc.

one of my goals for next year (time providing) is to spend time learning more about dog nutrition. some early delving into this pointed out that using "human" food or even just higher quality kibble works out cheaper. you feed less because it has more nutrition vs the lower quality that include lots of corn and other filler.

remember, even the cheapest dog food is "human" food. It's just what we won't eat or what's left over when they have finished processing everything else to be sold to humans.

human food / dog food. nice marketing distinction. the sources are all the same. chicken is chicken, there isn't a special chicken for humans and one for dogs. it's just what ends up in "dog food" isn't all that spectacularly good quality in a lot of cases.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

What are greenies? Like green vegetables? Because we buy these veggies with green leaves but a fairly pale whiteish colored stem and occasionally we feed them the stem :shock:
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

DogzRule1996 wrote:What are greenies? Like green vegetables? Because we buy these veggies with green leaves but a fairly pale whiteish colored stem and occasionally we feed them the stem :shock:
Do you mean these Greenies? http://www.greenies.com/en_US/default.aspx
What vegetable are you talking about? My mom buys a lot of broccoli and carrots so i like adding some to max's food.
--dontpugme
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Oh THOSE are greenies? I thought it meant like green vegetables :shock: and I'm not really sure what they're called (I'm bad with food names :lol: ) So what about that olive oil :? Should we give or no give?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

DogzRule1996 wrote:So what about that olive oil :? Should we give or no give?
As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with olive oil, but it's not particularly beneficial.