Teeth Cleaning

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Teeth Cleaning

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

Cuddles, is 1.5 months old and her teeth are as white as snow and sharp like pup. So, at what age is it appropriate for dogs to get their teeth cleaned?

Thanks,

Kalo
josie1918

Re: Teeth Cleaning

Post by josie1918 »

There really isn't an "age". This is one of the things vets check when your dog has her/his annual exam, we check for broken teeth, retained teeth, tartar build up, gum injuries etc. If you would like to start brushing her teeth I would highly recommend it. I brush my boys' teeth once a day, every day. Yours being an adult dog may take a little while for her to start liking it (my 80lb 2 year old GSD was NOT fun :lol: for about the first week) with a lot of patience and rewards, they doon come around. Use an enzymatic toothpaste made for canines, a baby's toothbrush will work or you can buy a toothbrush made for dogs. I use Hill's T/D as treats for the boys after brushing, it is approved by the American veterinary dental assoc. as a tartar reducing product. They like it, and used as treats after brushing it helps clean any areas I may have missed. This will help ensure a much brighter future for your dogs oral health. We have clients who started brushing every day from the day they brought their dogs home, these dogs are now 13 and 12 years old, and have NEVER had or needed to have a dental. :D
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Hi Josie,

I am going to try to brush my Cuddles teeth and hopefully she'll won't give me to much hassel...

Thanks,

Kalo
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

If you go to www.aspca.org click on to dog care, then type in tooth brushing in the search bar, they have instructions for starting to brush your pets teeth, these instructions are positive reinforcement, and come from the American veterinary dental association. Good luck, I think you and your dog will both be glad you made this decision. :D
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

This is a really good sight. I have tried to brush Connors teeth and he doesn't like it at all. I am going to try these instructions and see how it goes. Talk about step by step instructions.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Or you can try a raw non-weight bearing bone which is a natural teeth cleaner - try chicken wings, some lamb ribs.. yum!.... It's not as weird as it sounds - take a look at the raw diet thread but you'd just be taking a small section of it for keeping teeth clean. Playing with fleece toys also a good tip. The controversial raw hide is another idea but you could try antler instead... Seaweed supplement is also another idea some people swear by. Clearly you don't need to do anything of this unless there is a problem first... Antler is nice and yummy though as is the odd chicken wing here and there!
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

Connor has some tummy issues and I cannot do the raw diet. It made him really sick. He is a min pin and cannot have rawhide, it gets soggy and sticks in his throat. He doesn't like crunchy cookie type treats or those greenies things.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

What raw food did you try with Connor?
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

I tried the chicken and vegiges, half of them he wouldn't eat and my vet told me not to put him on raw meats becuase little dogs cannot handle that much protein, it will cause his kidneys to shut down. The raw food diet is a dangerous thing to get into if you aren't careful. I'd prefer not to put my boys in any danger.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Interesting. I didn't know little dogs cannot handle raw meat protein...

Here's an interesting article on this but it's off topic I know

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/toybreeds.html
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We all should do what we are happy with. If that means sticking with commercial food, so be it.

It is a daft idea that little dogs can't handle "too much" protein, and a dafter vet who thinks meat is pure protein :roll: Meat is mostly water, fibre, then protein, amino acids, minerals, vitamins and other trace elements. And the natural/rawfood/BARF diet isn't pure meat either - it's raw meaty bones and appropriate vegetables and fruit.

A little knowledge is indeed dangerous - especially with those who don't know how little they know. The information is out there.........
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

My vet suggested putting a bit of dog toothpaste in the bottom of the kong under the peanut butter. She said when he licks it he will then lick his teeth and that would help keep them cleaner. Also cuts down on the amt of PB and calories :D
Whitefang

Post by Whitefang »

Last edited by Whitefang on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Whitefang wrote:What is recommended for dogs who refuse to have their teeth brushed no matter what?

Feeding appropriate raw meaty bones. None of my dogs has ever had a toothbrush near them - all their teeth are completely clean and always have been.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Agree with Nettle. Grab some lamb ribs and chicken wings when you're next at the supermaket (give them raw. yes raw, dogs can handle germs that we can't) and try them out. Antler dog chews (of which you have many brands in the US) are an other idea. If your dog is in need of a tooth clean and you don't want him under sedation or anaesthetic, you can, again, clicker train him to accept it. You can also buy these little micro fibre finger puppets which you use to rub the teeth down with. Using a brush is of course quite unpleasant for a dog who has never 'learnt' to accept it. Better to try the diet or gentler methods first. :)