Food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zeldacorgi

Re: Food

Post by Zeldacorgi »

No disrespect taken. The advice I give is based completely on my personal experience. I have never had a dog who thrived on corn-based foods (in fact, all the dogs on a kibble with corn have had severe health issues as a result), which is why I make the recommendations I do. Every dog is different, and ultimately it's up to the owner to find the food their dog does well with. Those are the guidelines I follow when looking at foods. I feel they are correct (but granted, I'm not an expert). Hopefully they can be helpful to someone else looking for a food.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh I could probably find a shop selling Acana or Orijen but I can't drive so I'm limited to places I can get to even if my husband is deployed. I can't see anyone being willing to drive me to an out of the way fancy shop for dog food when most of them feed the crap sold at the local shop and don't understand why I won't but a lot go to Pets at Home so if Calvin went away I could get someone to drive me there when they went or pick up food for me.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Zeldacorgi, please know that I was not targeting you, or this website. www.petfoodanalysis.com is the site I was referring to. We are all here trying to help to the best of our abilities. I don't want to sound condescending, to anyone on this website, but I wonder how many of us here in the U.S. really understand the dog food industry. My complaints with it are how many pet foods from grocery store all the way up to high priced organics fail to include the percentages of minerals and ingredients that can pose health threats. Example: any phosphorus levels
exceeding 1.0 percent is considered undesirable, sodium levels over 0.03% are also a risk for hypertension, kidney disease, heart trouble. Now, how many packages of dog food tell the prospective buyer what is really in it? Also country of origin of the ingredients is also a concern. I wonder if we understand that there are only about 5 different companies in the U.S. that manufacture dog food (it is contracted out to them by the brand name companies) Also, protien levels in dog food are measured by the amount of nitrogen in the food, nothing more. While this may seem jaded the pet food industry is one of the fastest growing money makers in America. It is my opinion, that a lot of what we assume to be concern for our pets is a lot of money in some makers pocket. (Sorry if that is offensive) While I am not recommending one food over another, I am simply saying that I have seen a lot of dogs who simply did not do well on anything but a corn based diet. I think there is a place for all sorts of diets as long as there are all sorts of dogs. Try as many as you like until you find the one that works the best for your dog.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

No, I don't think you're targeting me at all nor am I upset about anything said. :D I respect your point of view very much. I do often comment with my opinion on food and wanted to explain why I believe what I do because we often respond in the same food threads.
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

You can always order Acana or Orijen (and any number of other foods online). Try, for example, Petfooddirect.com. The prices (minus the potential shipping amount) are pretty comparable to what I pay at the local pet food boutique where I buy Emmy's Acana. I do feed Emmy Acana. I have tried her on other quality foods as well, including Merrick Before Grain, Merrick Puppy Plate, and Innova, and have found that Emmy personally seems to be doing the best on Acana (Pacifica). She looks great, seems to love the taste more than she ever did with the other kibbles, and I swear that her teeth look cleaner--though I doubt the teeth are owing to the kibble, but probably more to the fact that I am giving her less canned food and lots of raw bones.

Although I sometimes reference dogfoodanalysis.com, I find that the dogfoodproject.com is much better in terms of explaining dog nutrition and how to evaluate ingredients.
woodster

Post by woodster »

i dont really know much about dog food/dog nutrition but at the minute we're feeding our dog on Purina ProPlan and he seems to be doing well. Its the same food the breeder used to give him and its reasonably priced. When we got our dog we went down to Pets at Home and asked the staff there. They have all their food set up in order of high standard to low standard. The Purina ProPlan doesnt have any of the colours or anything and its high up the standard scale.
Im no expert but i hope this helps :?
atomic7431

Post by atomic7431 »

thanks everyone for all your input plenty to take on board and decide about, at least i can choose something a lot better than what she is on now!