Something to think about

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

josie1918

Something to think about

Post by josie1918 »

latimes.com
BOOSTER SHOTS: Oddities, musings and news form the world of health
The FDA warns menopausal women using Evamist to avoid contact with children and pets
11:26 AM PDT, July 29, 2010

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday warned menopausal women using Evamist to avoid allowing children and pets to come into contact with the drug. Evamist contains the estrogen hormone estradiol and is sprayed on the forearms between the elbow and wrist to reduce hot flashes. The FDA said it has received eight reports of adverse effects from exposure to the drug in children ages 3 to 5, and two reports of problems with pets.

Young girls who came into contact with the drug reported symptoms of premature puberty, including development of breast buds and breast mass. Males developed symptoms of gynecomastia, an enlargement of the breasts. The symptoms developed several weeks to months after the adult patient began using Evamist.

The agency also received reports concerning two spayed female dogs that included signs of mammary/nipple enlargement and vulvar swelling. One dog suffered liver failure, and the second developed vaginal prolapse and elevated estrogen levels. They were exposed by licking the owner's arm or by being held.

If children come into contact with the adult's arms, the FDA said, they should immediately be washed with soap and water.

-- Thomas H. Maugh II

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times
Nettle

Re: Something to think about

Post by Nettle »

Hell's Teeth! :evil:

Thank you Josie. You're a star for passing all this on.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh my gosh! :shock: Echo Nettle-- thank you, Josie, for posting this up!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Ditto to what Nettle and Fundog said! :evil: Doesn't the government and these drug companies realize people aren't "lab rats?" :evil: You would have thought they would hold off producing this drug until all the nasty side effects are known! :evil: Better yet, doctors shouldn't prescribe and patients shouldn't take this or any drug they're not completely sure of! :shock:

I swear, the more money they make, the dumber they become! :evil:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

And how are they meant to know the nasty side effects without having people take the drug? People are, imo, better lab rats than animals when it comes to things meant for humans. I've been made fully aware that the medication I'm going to be on soon is new and could have unknown side effects. But it could be the drug that gets my epilepsy under control and I personally think I'd be a fool not to try it given how things are at the moment.

Thanks for posting Josie. Have to say I'd be wary of anything like a hormone spray absorbed through the skin though, it seems obvious that it could be a problem for others coming into contact with your skin.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I think it's really a case of we need to make it worth while for the drug companies to spend a little more time understanding and testing their products before going to mass market. They need a lot more WE KNOW about there products, and a lot less were not sure how it works, but we think it does and it seems safe. Anti Depressants are a excellent example of this problem.