Eye Discharge

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Eye Discharge

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

Ugh, about two days ago my Cuddles started having minor discharge and today I noticed that this discharge is kind of yellowish/green color.

I made an appointment with the vet for Friday as I think she's got an eye infection. From time to time she squints as well. But, now it's both her eyes.

I feel horrible because for THREE weeks I've been walking her 7 days a week once a day at a cool local park that has hills and all. She also has been playing with other dogs in the park.

My Mom think she got this from the park and well you know how the parents felt about me walking her. I finally found a cool park that is safe, but, now I feel this is all my fault...

Could dogs get eye infections from grass? The park is totally clean....

Thanks, Kalo
Nettle

Re: Eye Discharge

Post by Nettle »

Nothing to stress about. We all get eye infections from time to time. They are easily sorted and you are right to take her to the vet. Sometimes dogs get something in their eye just as we do, but as it is in both eyes this is going to be an infection. Sometimes it is a symptom of another infection; your vet will test for that.

We can't wrap our dogs in cotton wool or expect them to be in tiptop health every day of their lives, so please don't get upset by the fact that she has caught an infection. Her immune system is there to deal with it, and your vet will help. It won't be the last infection she gets: none of it is your fault and it is just one of those things that happens with live beings - other smaller live beings infect them! :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

A week after I got the dachshunds (two years ago now) one of them got pink eye. They'd only been in my house and in my yard, we'd not gone to the dog park, we'd not gone to the pet store, we'd only been in and around my house. It just happens.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Thanks all for replying...

My Parent's know have forbidden me to walk her in the park anymore :( They think this is all my fault for bringing her there. Today I am going to take her to the vet as both her eye's are crusty and have greenish mucas around them. She look pathetic, but, because she is one year's old she still wants to play...

I feel horrible and my paren'ts being caring parents about Cuddles shove it down my throat like it's all my fault. Oh, well. at least I know she'll be getting well in no time...

Thanks for the input...

Kalo
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Dogs get sick. Just like people. It just happens. Did they forbid you from going to school when you brought home a cold, the flue, chickenpox or whatever cruddies kids pick up at school?

Like I said, my dog got an eye infection from my house, without ever having to go to a dog park or store. It could have just as easily come from something on someone's hands and then rubbing and playing with the dogs face and then getting into their eyes.

When I took Kole to the vet and we found out he had his infection I asked the doc if it was likely for him to pass it to my other dog and he said no, not really--unless my dogs were rubbing eyes together (which isn't overly likely).
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Leigha wrote:Dogs get sick. Just like people. It just happens. Did they forbid you from going to school when you brought home a cold, the flue, chickenpox or whatever cruddies kids pick up at school?

Like I said, my dog got an eye infection from my house, without ever having to go to a dog park or store. It could have just as easily come from something on someone's hands and then rubbing and playing with the dogs face and then getting into their eyes.

When I took Kole to the vet and we found out he had his infection I asked the doc if it was likely for him to pass it to my other dog and he said no, not really--unless my dogs were rubbing eyes together (which isn't overly likely).
Leigha your right on everything you stated, but, the parents are hardcore "do as I say" and I can't reason with them. They think Cuddles caught this from the park. They make me feel guilty like this was all my fault. Well, I do feel bad....

Thanks for the words and I totally understand what you are saying that dogs get sick just like people...

Thanks again..Kalo
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Why not ask your vet if this was caused by going to the dog park? or better still your parents ask him :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Mattie wrote:Why not ask your vet if this was caused by going to the dog park? or better still your parents ask him :D
Hi Mattie,

I asked the vet if it was caused from the dog park and she said she wasn't quite sure, but, nonetheless, my parents are angry at me and I can no longer walk the dog, yet again....

The vet gave me some eye onintment to put twice a day so that is what I am going to do since I am the one that caused this....I just meant well, but, this is now out of my hands...

As long as her eyes get better that's all that matters....Thanks again

Kalo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Kalo drop that stick NOW :evil: That's the one you and your parents are hitting you with.

YOU did not cause the infection. Infections happen. We all get them and that's why we have immune systems. It is nobody's "fault" and nobody is to blame. It's just something that happens to all life forms during their lives.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Nettle wrote:Kalo drop that stick NOW :evil: That's the one you and your parents are hitting you with.

YOU did not cause the infection. Infections happen. We all get them and that's why we have immune systems. It is nobody's "fault" and nobody is to blame. It's just something that happens to all life forms during their lives.
Well, I've dropped the stick, but, Cuddles can't walk no more in the park. First it was the coyotes and when i finally found a SAFE park to walk her in everything was great...

Cuddles was a happier dog. She loved the park and she also liked to play with other dogs...It's sad as I walked her every morning around 5:45 a.m. and she is the type of dog that remembers everything...

She now waits for me to get the strap to walk her...Oh, well. You're right I am dropping the stick as I didn't mean for this to happen and it's not my fault at all...

Like the parents said Cuddles is our dog not yours.....I do live with them..But this Friday I have a job interview and maybe I'll be lucky and get the job...I'll move out and they can take care of Cuddles...

Thank you for all your help and response...

Kalo
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Did you ask the vet what might have caused the eye discharge? And I just don't think it's fair. I mean, if you were to go swimming one day and then when you came home at night it was cold and and there's wind and everything and then the next morning you get a cold CAN THEY BAN YOU FROM EVER GOING TO THE POOL AGAIN? :(
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

DogzRule1996 wrote:Did you ask the vet what might have caused the eye discharge? And I just don't think it's fair. I mean, if you were to go swimming one day and then when you came home at night it was cold and and there's wind and everything and then the next morning you get a cold CAN THEY BAN YOU FROM EVER GOING TO THE POOL AGAIN? :(
DogzRule1996,

I totally agree with what you are saying. It's been two day's since Cuddles has walked and every morning she awaits for me to put on the leash :(

This morning I tried explaining to my Parent's that you just can't cut her off from walking. It's not fair! Can't we come to a happy medium??
And, yes I did ask the vet what might be causing the discharge and she didn't know. The vet that examine Cuddles was a fll in vet and I am starting to think I should of waited for OUR vet when taking Cuddles in...

Though the fill in vet did a througho (ugh can't spell) she didn't know what was causing her discharge. One thing is I didn't think it was infected. Today her eyes look way better....

Thanks for the response, Kalo
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I do think it was a good idea to have brought her in even though your real vet wasn't there. If you had waited her eyes could have gotten worse and she could have gone blind. So does this mean that you can never take her on a walk again? :(
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I pretty much echo what everyone else has said, and I'm really sorry for your situation.

A few weeks ago, I had a very sick puppy. She may have picked up a bug from one of the puppies in her puppy class that cause severe diarrhea which led to dehydration. We had to check her in to the the pet ER overnight for fluids. The following week she went back to puppy class. Because it wasn't our fault. Or the trainers. Or the other dogs or their owners. She caught a bug. It happens.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Zeldacorgi wrote:I pretty much echo what everyone else has said, and I'm really sorry for your situation.

A few weeks ago, I had a very sick puppy. She may have picked up a bug from one of the puppies in her puppy class that cause severe diarrhea which led to dehydration. We had to check her in to the the pet ER overnight for fluids. The following week she went back to puppy class. Because it wasn't our fault. Or the trainers. Or the other dogs or their owners. She caught a bug. It happens.
Thanks Zeldacorg, and I am sorry to hear about your puppy as well. I hope she is doing better. I guess dogs are like kids and that they can catch bugs, and such from other puppys, etc.

Cuddles is doing better and well my Mom is more open for me to walk her in the park. It's my Dad that I still have to convince. This wasn't the parks fault it's just one of those things that happened, and it couldn't of been that bad because with in two days her eyes are looking way better. No more goop dripping and stuff..Ugh, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Cuddles misses are walks...Hopefully she'll be back to walking in no time :wink:

Thanks Kalo