Rescued Bloodhound - arthritus

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wendigauthier

Rescued Bloodhound - arthritus

Post by wendigauthier »

We rescued, Red, a blood hound from the local pound. He is 2-4 yrs old, neutered male. He currently weighs 70 lbs and need to gain at least 20 lbs. I have noticed him limping lately and he often would prefer to lay down than sit. When he does sit, I have noticed his front legs and some time back legs will tremble slightly. I suspect he has been fending for himself for a great period of time and was not properly nourished as a puppy. I could use any suggestions on arthritis meds. I'm contacting our vet tomorrow to get his take on the situation. He refuses to come in the house and is perfectly content in the back yard. He is not the slightest interested on sleeping on a dog bed. I built an ortho bed with pvc piping and canvas for our boxer and I'm trying to teach him to use it. There is a picture of him under dog training section, caption reads "rescued bloodhound"
Thanks...
Mattie

Re: Rescued Bloodhound - arthritus

Post by Mattie »

If it is arthritis there is a very good powder or liquid you can get him, if you live in the USA the address is www.cortaflex.com if you live in the UK the addy is www.cortaflex.co.uk. I have both Bonnie and Ellie on it, Bonnie had both her back legs broken when she was 6 months old so it is a preventative, Ellie has really bad arthritis in her back legs, since she has been on it she is a lot more active and mobile, maybe this is why her breathing went.

Us humans can get it as well, I am on it and it has made a big difference, I am more mobile and agile than I have been for many years. I am able to do a lot more etc. I have put others onto it and they are all the same, more mobile and agile even their dogs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wendigauthier

Post by wendigauthier »

Thank you Mattie, I will give it a try.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Your dog is young for osteoarthritis, so I am going to entertain the idea that it may be genetic. I recently read an article on the results of testing that was done on dogs with osteoarthritis and omega 3 fatty acids available from fish oil and flaxseed. The dogs in these studies showed a marked improvement in pain and inflammation reduction. The study also showed a reduction in the expression and activity of proteoglycan-degrading enzymes, which show the potential to stop the progression of osteroarthritis. So, you might also like to try adding some fish oil to your dogs diet as well. I am not familiar with the product recommended by Mattie, but experience is a good teacher, if it works for her dog as well as herself, my guess is it is good stuff :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My vet knew about it Josie, she was really pleased when I told her that I had put Ellie onto it, said it was one of the best on the market.

A few weeks ago a friend was upset because her JRT had problems getting onto the furniture and had a permanent limp, it was arthritis, and her husband was in a lot of pain and wasn't able to do the jobs that he needed to. I recommended Cortaflex to them, the dog is back to being a Little SH** again, is able to get on the furniture without any problems and is racing round again. Her husband is better than he has been for years and all her outstanding jobs are getting done now. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]