Energy burst (zoomie)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

forkin14

Energy burst (zoomie)

Post by forkin14 »

ASIDE from whatever it is making Cadence go nuts outside while on leash, I have another question regarding exercise.

Nine times out of ten, every time we come in from a walk (she gets three separate 30 minutes walks a day because of heat and I try to keep it short for "training" purposes) she zooms around the room at full speed for several minutes. Does this mean not enough exercise, too much and it stressed her out, or something else?

Here is the usual routine:
Walk in the door, take harness and leash off. Cadence runs to her water bowl, and once I get near she runs around quickly, goes into play bow and tries to nip my feet. Once she sees I'm filling up her water bowl, she patiently sits at its spot waiting for me. Once she gulps it down, the zoomies start! And this little doggy is super fast! :lol:

Any insight / thoughts would be appreciated :D
Fundog

Re: Energy burst (zoomie)

Post by Fundog »

It's a lot like teaching preschool. :wink: When you've got the kids all wound up from a silly dance, or a run around in the play yard, or even snack... you give them a "quiet time" activity to settle them down again: a story, a puzzle, even a video, or nap time. With dogs it's very similar: give her an enrichment puzzle, then something wonderful to chew on. After that, she will take a nap. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Ohhh okay! Thanks!! :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Hey you could try leaving the harness and leash on for a few minutes after you get inside so Cadence can have a cooldown period before being "free" to zoomie.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Noobs wrote:Hey you could try leaving the harness and leash on for a few minutes after you get inside so Cadence can have a cooldown period before being "free" to zoomie.
oooh good idea! I will combine both your advice & Fundogs, leave the leash&harness on and give her a little something to do!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Horus does the same thing from time to time, often if he is wet, or if we have had a long walk but he has had to stay on the lead so not had chance to really run. I think it is just his way of showing he is happy and has had fun, and maybe just needs to tell me about it! I tend to ignore him, keep still and sit down until he calms himself down, or if I can see he is wanting to zoomie then I let him out into the garden straight away so he can do it safely out there while I wait inside. It may be that at the moment Cadence doesn't feel her walks are long enough in one go, although she is getting plenty of exercise, and she might stop when you are able to do longer walks again.

Just re-read your post, does she get any playtime on the lead, or are you working on things at the moment? Maybe she gets home and has "brain ache" and just needs to go mad to get rid of the physical energy to balance it out again! Try making time for a few minutes of play outside before you come in, tuggy or fetch or just running around if that's what she likes, just to let her brain switch off and her body get rid of the wriggles!
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Horace's Mum wrote:Just re-read your post, does she get any playtime on the lead, or are you working on things at the moment? Maybe she gets home and has "brain ache" and just needs to go mad to get rid of the physical energy to balance it out again! Try making time for a few minutes of play outside before you come in, tuggy or fetch or just running around if that's what she likes, just to let her brain switch off and her body get rid of the wriggles!
Unfortunately, dogs cannot be off leash in my dads apartment complex, so no fetch or running around. There are no fenced in areas, so even if I have her on our 15 ft lead dragging it around, I would get in trouble. Tug would be a good thing though since that's an activity where we have to be close together
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

30ft line? Horus can't be offlead in his garden at the moment, no fence yet, but he can zoomie on his 30-40ft tethered line.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Hmm if I got a 30 ft line I would have to hold one end.

My dad just informed me there's a large patch of grass behind a big office building that's right around the corner from our apartment complex, so I may take her there after our 30 min night walk (after 5pm and everyone's gone of course :wink: ) and keep the 15 ft line on her but let her drag it around.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Good luck - hope that works out!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am able to throw a ball for my dogs when they are on a 30ft line and still hold the other end, if I have thrown it a bit far I can move forward enough for my dog to get the ball without coming to the end of the line.

Personally I think 15ft isn't long enough, my extending leads are 8 mtrs, 26ft, and my long lines are 30ft. The longer line means more freedom for your dog, more room to teach my dog recall and you can still keep control.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Yah when we went to the petstore the day we needed to get a long line, they only had a 15 ft leash in the regular nylon material. The bigger ones were those cable ones that connect to the "tie out" metal things you twist into the ground, and I don't like those :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Even with the 30ft lines I will often attach another to give my dog 60ft of line, especially if I am training recall. :lol: Depending on the dog I have attached another to give the dog 90ft.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Can you get a horse lunge line? Nicer on the hands and very strong.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

When Max zoomies he usually wants to take a shoe with him or jump & nip me (in play) so I either put him in the bathroom or redirect him with a frozen pupsickle. Nothing like a little 'brain freeze" to knock the zoomies out. lol :lol: