Drastic Changes to Innova to come?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RobbnAtlanta

Drastic Changes to Innova to come?

Post by RobbnAtlanta »

Proctor & Gamble just bought Innova's conpany..
http://blog.timesunion.com/petsandvets/ ... pet-foods/
shybird

Re: Drastic Changes to Innova to come?

Post by shybird »

P&G will ruin the product in time. I don't trust them. When I heard back in May that the company was being sold, I finished the bag I had and went Acana. I won't by anything that is a Natura product again. Makes me very sad and a bit angry.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.
divajackie

Post by divajackie »

I am devastated by this change to Innova. I have been spending hours trying to figure out what I will feed Kaylee and Stubbs after this huge bag of Innova is gone. Kaylee is so sensitive and Innova has really been the only food she has consistently been able to eat without any trouble or rashes. I was considering grain-free, but they are so inactive and tbh I am pretty skeptical about the new grain-free trend. I fed Kaylee EVO for a while and honestly there was no substantial difference between her on EVO and regular Innova. I guess grain-free also scares me.

Blue Buffalo - Looks alright on paper, but was part of a dog food recall. It makes me nervous.
Acana Adult dog (blue bag) - Looks pretty great. Anyone had any bad experiences with it?
Wellness - I saw a video on youtube with fish bones in the kibble. It was most likely a bad batch, but now I am horrified.
Merrick - The ingredients look alright, but I get this feeling they charge a lot but it is cheaply made. I really don't have a logical explanation for it.
Natures Variety - http://www.naturesvariety.com/Prairie/dog/kibble/all

I know all dogs are different and basically it is going to be trial and error again to see what works. Any information about grain-free and high protein for a lazy sleepy dog would be great.
shybird

Post by shybird »

My pet food supplier brought in the Acana at my request. The company has a very good reputation. Although she brought in the grain free versions. I will be stopping in the next few days to ask her to get the Regular ones also, including the Puppy one. My crew switched from Innova/Calif Natural/Evo to the Acana in May without any problems. In fact, they ate it with gusto.

Since you were feeding Innova which has a lot of ingredients, you should have no trouble switching to the Acana regular as the ingredients are very similar and shouldn't harm her sensitive tummy. There has been no gas at all on the Acana Grassland formula, where as with the Innova there was occasional gas, smelling like turkey! I am thinking that turkey was a bit harder on the tummy for my crew.
Myia
Don't buy,while shelter pets die.
Ban irresponsibility,not breeds.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

If you're looking for a grain-free food, I would suggest Natural Balance - they have "allergy formulas" which are grain-free. Even if your dogs don't have allergies, since the allergy formulas are grain-free then it'll work for your purposes.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

Along the top of the page you'll see which flavors are grain-free.
RobbnAtlanta

Post by RobbnAtlanta »

I supposed this is a debated topic, but

What are the advantages/disadvantages of grain in food vs all protein?

I always thought grain was to be avoided as it's just filler and many dogs have allergies?

Also, I I find it kind of funny(odd) that dogs have such sensitive stomachs, yet can eat carcasses?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Just an opinion, but grain, primarily corn, is most often used in dog food as a protein source. Many dogs do very well on this, others (I have 2) have allergies to corn and wheat, so I have to watch what is fed to them. Rice is easily digestable and a good source of B vitimans, so I don't think the argument is so much grain in foods as WHICH grains are in foods.

Now to further confuse anyone reading this, the amounts of certain nutrients in food are also a concern, for example calcium, which is needed for bone and tooth development and maitenance can cause all sorts of problems if over dosed, especially in large, fast growing breeds of dogs. So the balance of the nutrients in a food are also important.
We are seeing an upswing in allergies in general, it is an issue of the immune system, and we are also seeing many more other ailments linked to a malfunctioning immune system. Could be careless, greedy breeders, could be the environment, dunno. Just know it is a problem on the rise, that we as pet owners should be aware of.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

RobbnAtlanta wrote:I supposed this is a debated topic, but

What are the advantages/disadvantages of grain in food vs all protein?

I always thought grain was to be avoided as it's just filler and many dogs have allergies?

Also, I I find it kind of funny(odd) that dogs have such sensitive stomachs, yet can eat carcasses?

Grain is not a natural food for dogs, which have a short digestive tract and strong digestive juices for managing whole carcases and even carrion, which IS what they are naturally designed to eat. This is why cereals in dog foods have to be cooked, extruded, processed for the dog to be able to digest them, and even then, they tend to store cereal food as fat rather than metabolise it for growth and energy. Anyone who has dogs that raid the chicken grain or wild bird food knows that grain that has not been processed comes out just the same as it went in! :lol:

Most dogs don't have sensitivities IF they are fed what they are designed to eat, although a few for various reasons do have a problem with some meats (there are always exceptions) and once a sensitivity is established, it may be there for life or at best take a lot of fixing.

A great many sensitivities get blamed on food when they are environmental, too. It can be very hard to narrow down what is causing a reaction.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

divajackie wrote:Blue Buffalo - Looks alright on paper, but was part of a dog food recall. It makes me nervous.
That recall was over three years ago wasn't it? I give my dog Blue Buffalo since she was having allergy issues with Purina, then then I found out Purina was garbage food :lol: Never had any issues with it so far!