Asthma?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lucylulu

Asthma?

Post by Lucylulu »

Do dogs get asthma? I think Lucy has it. It's usually not a problem. Sometimes when she runs she can't breath, but the big problem is when she gets excited. Like if I've been gone all day and come home. Or if you give her a bite of food that she LOVES (like icecream) She gets so excited that she can't breath. It sounds like a person who has the wind knocked out of them or something. sometimes it's just for a few minutes. but like tonight it was for a long time she was struggling to breath. We pick her up and try to be soothing and calm her down. I'm worried if I take her to the vet they won't believe me because it doesn't happen that often and it probably wouldn't happen when she was there because she is not excited about going to the vet. Lucy also has a history of siezures (had them when she was a pup) but hasn't had them since she was about four or five months old. Could this be related? Anyone have any experience in this?
She is a chihuahua.
Note: It's not from her leash and collar because I walk her on a harness. Right now she doesnt even have a collar on because I worried that it was a cause of it. she hasn't worn a collar in a few months.
Fundog

Re: Asthma?

Post by Fundog »

Yes, dogs do get asthma, though it is very rare. Another thing that can mimic the symptoms of asthma is a heart condition. It is vital that you get her in to see the vet, this week, and describe in detail, the symptoms, so the real problem can be determined and properly treated.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Get her soft pallet checked, Chihuahuas can suffer from a long soft pallet, if it isn't treated a dog can end up needing a tracheotomy like Ellie. Often a tie back works if done early.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

what you are describing could be any number of things from lung contusions, pulmonary edema to diaphragmatic rupture. You do need to take your dog to your vet, describe in full the symptoms and let him do the necessary x-rays and testing. Your dog has been tested for heartworm yes?