Are these good ingredients for my puppy?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

breezeyc

Are these good ingredients for my puppy?

Post by breezeyc »

Hi, Just changed from the food the breeders were feeding my puppy to this one. Its made by a company that has a large shop and sells all animal foods including their own brand. Its local and its a premium food-or is it?? thats where I need your advice its sooo confusing. My pup is a 10wk old Cocker Spaniel and fit and healthy with firm stools but the food is not easy or convenient to get hold of thats shes been on.
Analysis of new food:
protein 30%
Oil 14%
Fibre 2.5%
Ash 9.5%
Vitamin A 20 000 iu/kg
Vitamin D3 1 500 iu/kg
Vitamin E 170 iu/kg (as alpha tocopherol)
Copper 18mg/kg (as cupric sulphate)

ingredients:
Chicken Meat Meal, Rice, Maize, Oats, Chicken Oil, Beet pulp, Fishmeal, Brewers yeast, Egg powder, Linseed, Salmon oil, Monosodium Phosphate, Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Minerals & Vitamins.

Before I carry on feeding please can someone put my mind at rest . Many thanks Claire
Zeldacorgi

Re: Are these good ingredients for my puppy?

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Is this a dry kibble? If so, not too bad (could do a little better, I think), not much there, but the protein count is really high. I would suggest looking for something around 23%. The reason I think you could do a bit better on ingredients is that I don't like to see "science" so high on the ingredient list. I aslo like two meats or meat meals in the first five ingredients.
breezeyc

Post by breezeyc »

Hi , thanks for replying. Yes it is a dry kibble. She was on Wainrights salmon & Potato, well still is till I swap her over-if I swap her over!
wainrights ingredients:

Salmon Protein (min. 23%), Potato (min. 17.5%), Atlantic Fish Meal, Potato Protein, Sorghum, Whole Grain Barley (min. 10%), Sunflower Oil, Whole Linseed (min. 4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (min. 4%), Alfalfa, Diacalcium Phosphate, Natural Seawood (min. 0.4%), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Typical Analysis:

Moisture 8%, Protein 30%, Oils and Fats 15%, Fibre 3%, Ash 3.7%, Vitamin A 12000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1200iu/kg, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol), 600iu/kg, Copper (Cupric Sulphate) 12mg/kg. Contains Tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin. Vitamin E and C as EC permitted antioxidant. No added colourants, flavourings or preservatives. Vitamin declaration is valid until best before date printed With batch number on back of pack.

Was thinking of burns but its sooooo expensive, I am willing to spend lots on my little pup but if I can find something similar for lessmoney I will. Apparently the food is similar to wainrights a jwb???
Claire
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

You're definitely on the right track with the foods you're looking at. If you can continue her on wainrights, I would simply because she's doing so well on it. If you still need to switch her, check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ , see what's available in your area and go from there. You'll find great choices 4 star and up.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Breezecy,
In your original post, I would caution you against the vitiman A content of this food, vitiman A tends to build up in the liver when fed to excess, this can cause toxcicty issues. Also ash in large quantities can wreek havoc on a urinary tract. While I do not know what foods you have available to you, I would tell you that protien levels at or around 22% are a good thing, and that phosphorus levels in your food should never be more than 1.6% in a puppy food, or 1% in an adult food. be sure sodium levels are at a minimum. MSM is a chemical preservatives which have many suspected health concerns linked to it.
Hope this helps you :D
breezeyc

Post by breezeyc »

Thankyou for your help. I will look into it a bit more. Claire
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I've fed Burns, JWB and Wainwrights. Out of the 3 Rupe does best on Wainwrights. JWB has "secret ingredients" which concerned me a little because nobody seem to know just what they are. I had to feed ridiculous amounts of Burns to keep Rupes weight stable but he has problems keeping weight on to start with. Orijen, Arden Grange and Natures Menu may be others to look at. I can't easily get Arden Grange or Orijen and for Rupe Nature's Menu would work out ridiculously expensive so I've stuck with Wainwrights.
breezeyc

Post by breezeyc »

Cheers for that. Probably gonna stick to it as well. Shame wainrights don't do 7.5kg! Claire