help! sick puppy...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

SterlingPup

help! sick puppy...

Post by SterlingPup »

I have a 12 week old australian shepherd. He is in the middle of his vaccinations last ones are in 2 weeks. We took him to the vet yesterday to get his 4 in 1 shots. The night before that he had thrown up, but I assumed it was to much food in and exercise to fast. After his shots he was fine but at night he threw up in his crate. Today he was fine all day but had runny poo. But Back to having high energy and appetite. But he started throwing up again around midnight. I threw away the food he was using in case that's been making him sick. (I'm suspicious something wasn't right with the chicken) but I'm worried it might be something more serious. He is fine during the day... Should I wait to see if it was the food or rush him down in case it's something more serious?
Mattie

Re: help! sick puppy...

Post by Mattie »

Vet as soon as you can, he should never have been vaccinated if he was vomiting, if your vet knew this change your vet.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

absolutely, if an animal is ill, the vaccines will not take, in other words they will not function. Total agreement with Mattie.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Righto to what the other 2 said. More importantly than the food though, you need to monitor how much water pupster is getting. Feel the inside of his gums. Are they moist and slick? Or are they feeling tacky? If they're tacky, you're dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately. With the runny diarrhea and vomitting, it would not at all be surprising. Get the pup to a vet STAT! Have them test for parvo, if they haven't already done so, just to rule that out.

I went through this with my pup about a month ago. We ended up having to leave her overnight to get lots of IV fluids and were sent home with ID diet, which worked. Good luck!
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Parvo will have a distinct, very strong odor, I would not suspect parvo unless this is happening all day long, and you notice an extremely foul odor connected to the loose stools, I would not consider that the issue. To test if you think your animal is dehydrated, pluck the skin on his neck or back, if it returns quickly, you are ok, if it takes a little while 5 seconds or more to lay back down, your dog needs fluids. If it is extremely warm where you live, your dog could be overheated, which would cause both loose stools and vomitting. There are any number of things this could be, it could be corona virus, which passes with time, or maybe parvo (less likely due to your vaccination schedule) heat (if applicable) bad food( who knows) Get yourself some unflavored pedilyte (in the baby aisle almost anywhere) and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, that will keep puppies electrolytes stable, while you observe what is going on :D
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Also puppies with parvo are NOT active, they are lethargic. And when I say parvo has a strong odor, I mean "bring tears to your eyes stench" :shock: Also how long has the puppy been on the food you threw away?
Could be a food allergy. Watch and see what puppy does, if you think puppy is getting worse, or for sure not better, in 24 to 48 hours, take him to the vets.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

josie1918 wrote:Also puppies with parvo are NOT active, they are lethargic. And when I say parvo has a strong odor, I mean "bring tears to your eyes stench" :shock:
We ended up testing Zelda for parvo because she did become lethargic by the time we got her to the vet, but there was no "strong" odor to her at all. Just really bizarre looking diarrhea. She did test negative, but I'm glad we at least ruled it out.
SterlingPup

Post by SterlingPup »

Thanks for the advice everyone! We called the vet and he told us to monitor during the day and see how we was acting. He did have loose stool, but plenty of energy and his great spirit! We were told we could have him tested for parvo, but since there was no red tint to his stool and no odor we are sure he doesn't have it. We switched his food and he has been doing much better! It has been extremely hot these last few days which I'm sure contributed a small amount to his symptoms. It was just strange he was only sick during the night. He's doing great though!