Spaying After care??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kaz4t

Spaying After care??

Post by kaz4t »

Our girls had thier desexing op today and seem to be recovering well.

Winnie has drunk water, I let her have a little at a time, we were warned not to let them drink too much at a time - she has also throw up a little, again we were warned this may happen particularly if they drink too much water or too fast.

Libby has not drunk much at all and seems more perky, she was looking for food so I gave here a quarter of the amount of BARF I would usually give them.

They do not seem bothered by the stitches at all.

So I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advise for the next few days.

What is good to give them to eat?? they usually eat BARF, Canine Country not Billingtons and at the moment (due to suspected allergies) I am only giving them Beef and Roo BARF and turkey necks.

Are scrambled eggs good ? or stick to what they usually have?

They will be crated in thier separate crates over night and at times during the day, especially if they start getting rowdy.

We were told no walks for 5 days, that will not be a problem but I suspect they will soon get 'wet play' sydrome and start play fighting, so I plan to exercise thier mind, I put treats in a muffin pan and cover them with tennis balls, they have a great time finding the treats (this is done during thier separate time, so only one dog at a time)

I am going to check out the Exercise the mind thread again for some more ideas.

thanks

Karen
Fundog

Re: Spaying After care??

Post by Fundog »

Ooooh, I LIKE that muffin tin covered with tennis balls idea-- gonna have to try that!!! :D

I had my Annie spayed when she was just four months old. We had purchased the offered pain pills for her, considering she had just had a total hysterectomy. :shock: The morning after the surgery, she had a hard time getting outside to go potty. Fortunately her bowels were soft, so she didn't have to strain too much. But she did have a bit of trouble walking. We had to pick her up and take her out to make it easier for her. But then we gave her a pain pill, which did make her a bit sleepy. I had to go to work, and Mr. Fundog had to go run some errands he thought it would be okay to leave Annie out of her crate, as he thought she would just sleep on the sofa. He was wrong. This is what he came home to:

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/mess1.jpg/

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/mess2.jpg/

Another thing we were told was no rough play, and no wading/swimming, for TWO WEEKS. Oops. It was only a week after her surgery that I took her with me on an overnight camp-out with my Cub Scouts. (I had no other option, as Mr. Fundog was working the graveyard shift, so I could not leave her home). I had arranged for one of the parents of my "boys" to take Annie home with them for the night. So while at camp, one of our activities was to go down to the river and go wading. Annie was straining at the leash, so I let her go to prevent choking herself. She raced the boys down to the river, and of course, was right in the water with them. So much for keeping her incision dry. :roll: When the designated parent took her home, Annie spent the night and early morning romping with their boxer puppy in the back yard. So much for "no vigorous play." :roll: However, when I checked her incision, it was still very much intact. I just used a cotton swab and some hydrogen peroxide to clean it up a little, to prevent infection. But the one thing I should note is that her incision was made with modern techniques: First of all, it was only 1/4 inch long, and barely visible. Second, it was not closed with sutures, but with Dermabond, so we did not have to take her back for suture removal. Even through that wild weekend, her incision stayed closed up, and had what appeared to be the faintest trace of a scab. We never had any complications with her post-op recovery at all-- aside from the mess in the living room, lol!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
kaz4t

Re: Spaying After care??

Post by kaz4t »

Thnx Fundog, Loved the photos, never underestimate a dog!!!!

I think I got the muffin tin idea from here, not sure, any way they love it, they both work at it in different ways, one nudges with her nose and the other one uses her paws, when the balls spin the treats shoot out, hilarious.

Winnie still did not eat this morning, but I think it is more to do with the food. I have just been out and bought some fresh puppy mince and she wolfed it down. Probably my fault as we ran out of puppy mince so I gave them BARF on it's own.

We have spent some time outside, just mooching around the yard, I gave them some new chew toys which they played with for a while, when they started to wind each other up we came back inside and they are now in thier separate crates having some rest time.