Grass eating

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Grass eating

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupe's always eaten a fair bit of grass but lately he's been eating so much he's been bringing it back in the middle of the night. I'm not sure whether he's being sick or pooping it out because I don't find it until morning and it's a long, log shaped thing which makes me think he's pooping it but it's just grass. However, he's very clean in the house and will wake me if he needs to go out in the night which makes me think he's being sick.

Anyway, on to what I really want to ask. I know I can muzzle him to prevent him eating grass while we're out but why would he be eating so much in the first place? Is he lacking something in his diet? If so how do I find out what? He's healthy, was at the vet just a couple of weeks ago had a normal check up and had all his organ function tested and it's all perfectly fine (just waiting on thyroid results now). As I say, I know I can prevent him doing it but if there's a reason behind why he's obssessively going after the grass and eating so much of it that he's sick I'd like to try to figure out why and do what I can to take that reason away. Not a fan of just treating the symptoms and not the cause if you know what I mean.

He's currently fed Wainwrights salmon and potato, ingredients
Salmon Protein (min. 23%), Potato (min. 21%), Sorghum, Whole Grain Barley (min. 10%), Atlantic Fish Meal, Whole Linseed (min. 4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (min. 5%), Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Alfalfa, Natural Seawood (min. 0.5%), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract.
I've been told there are better foods out there but having tried everything that's been recommended decided to stick with this as it seems to suit him best. Raw isn't an option at the moment unfortunately.
Nettle

Re: Grass eating

Post by Nettle »

Give him fresh raw vegetables. That's what he is needing. Also how is his worming regime? Grass eating can also be a sign of intestinal unrest.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks nettle, whole/sliced fresh raw vegetables or put them in a blender first? And any particular type? I'll also get some wormer from the vet.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Give him whole ones to gnaw on (veggies make good chew toys), and liquidise or lightly cook a small amount to mix with his food. Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas in the pod but not corn on the cob.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Cheers, he usually gets a raw carrot two or 3 times a week but not had any in the last couple of weeks which looking back his grass eating picked up about a week ago. I'll get him wormed and start giving him veggies again and hope that stops it.