Solid Gold-too much protein for puppy?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zeldacorgi

Solid Gold-too much protein for puppy?

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I am feeding my 12 week old corgi pup Solid Gold Hunchen Flocken, which was also fed to her by her breeder. When our pup went through a sick bout a couple weeks ago, of course diet came up. Our trainer said that Solid Gold is a "richer" food, and that we might want to think about switcher to a less rich food. Then I think I read something on the forum saying that 29% protein content is too high for puppies (Solid Gold is 28%). Our trainer recommended a couple other foods that are around 24% protein. We're thinking about switching to Petcurean, which she said would be a bit blander.

So, I'm asking if protein is a big deal? I've done a ton of research on ingredients in food, but not on the percentages of protein, fat, calories, etc. that puppies/dogs should have. Any info would be great.
josie1918

Re: Solid Gold-too much protein for puppy?

Post by josie1918 »

I know from studies as well as PERSONAL observation if I give my dogs anything above 23% (dry matter base not off the label) I can see trouble coming within 2 days. They become hyper vigilant, much more reactive, and more aggressive. High protien levels in foods are the "trend" right now due to the glossy coats it gives, I do question the ammount of nitrogen thrown off by a high protien diet, but that is just how my mind works. I often wonder how many dogs would have much less reactive behavior if the owners lowered the protien in their diets. If this were my dog, and it isn't, I would be looking at a lower protien level for it. But that is just my 2 cents worth.