Nail Trimming How to?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Nail Trimming How to?

Post by jacksdad »

After Jacks last experience with a groomer for nail trimming I decided I had better learn to do this. He just doesn't do well with strangers and it took 3 groomers to trim his nails.

So while I saw the other thread about nail trimming it really didn't cover "nail trimming 101", so started a new thread.

Having never done it before I know I have questions, I am just not even sure what they are yet or even where to start.
Leigha

Re: Nail Trimming How to?

Post by Leigha »

What do his nails look like? Are you able to see the quick?
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

they are dark, and I can't see the quick.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I don't clip the nails of the dogs whose nails are dark, so I googled--here's a website that has pictures. I don't know if everyone else has a better way of knowing how far to clip. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_claws.aspx
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dark nail sufferer also. Bad design. :evil: That's why I file, after trimming the tips.

Somewhere, Emms has a video on clicker-training nail work.

I am told, though I have never tried it, that if you soak the paw for 5 minutes then shine a light at the back of the nails, you can see the quicks.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Forgot to add - I never do a full set of nails - one or two at a time, after the dog is tired and has eaten, and is sleepy and mellow.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ok, thanks. between the two nail threads I think I have enough to give this a try.

I tend to be pretty cautious with things like this so I like the idea of one or two nails at a time per day. be sides, I don't think Jack will go for more then that to start anyway.

I will get a nail clipper and file and see how we do.

I am also assuming it's better to under trim / file to start so I don't run the risk of hurting Jack and creating a bad experience for him.
tinytwo

Post by tinytwo »

If you are brave enough, and tackle trimming the nails, here's a tip, JUST IN CASE, you accidently cut the quick, apply cornstarch to the nail. It will stop the bleeding, in most cases.
I did Harper's once. I gave him a bully stick and did almost all of his nails. He was quiet, calm, and patient. I thought it was going great. Then, my boyfriend got home, and came through the front door, right as I cut the very last one! Harper pulled away when I still had his nail....
I didn't even notice it was bleeding at first, because he didn't cry or fuss.
:(
But, aside from that, it went fine, and I am sure I could do it again! :)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Murphy won't let me get near him with a nail file - even when I'm filing my own nails! So be sure to do lots of desensitization before you start.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Noobs wrote:Murphy won't let me get near him with a nail file - even when I'm filing my own nails! So be sure to do lots of desensitization before you start.
thanks for the reminder noobs. with jack that will be a must.

tinytwo, thanks as well. we always had septic powder around for the bird, didn't even think about that for the dog... :(
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Generally, the long nails are curved. Assuming he hasn't gone too long without a nail trim (then the quick would be overgrown too), the thinnest part of the nail, the point where the nail starts to curve is where you cut. Again, if the nails (and quick) are way overgrown to the point where the nail is pressing into the pad and/or the dewclaw (the tiny nail separate from the others, closer to the wrist part) is hooked into the skin, then it would be best to have a vet to put him under and do the procedure due to sheer pain and blood loss.

If Jack hasn't had this in a while, click and treat whenever you touch his feet, touch the pad, the nails, skin surrounding the nails. You can use the TTouch on his feet to create a relaxing sensation if treats make him too excited. Once he's familiar and good with that, have him standing up (even better if you have this on verbal cue already) and grip his wrist/ankle in your hand until his shoulder/back legs are slightly stretched. Click and treat with all four feet individually and until fade it until he let you stretch out all four. Within this step, slowly increase the time your hands are on the pads/nails. Another alternative is to have him "paw target" your hands with his front ones if he knows that.

Once that is done, bring out the trimmer. I use a stainless steel guillotine-style one but there are a variety of options. Make sure the blade is sharp. Once he sees/smells trimmer, click and treat. Repeat until he associates this with good things and even comes to the trimmer. (If he has associated it with bad things in the past, don't stay come, just scoop him up and do it.) Then gently tap his nails with trimmer, open and close the trimmer, put the trimmer around his nail but down cut, getting him used to the sounds/sensations while you have yummy treats and hold his feet. Repeat this until he is comfortable.

Then it's the big day, time to trim. Bring paper towels/cloths and corn starch too. Start with a tiny bit of the nail. If you're having trouble seeing the nail, then gently peel back the fur/hair above the nail with your thumb. If he lives through one, jack pot. If he's not stressed out, go with another one and another jack pot. After that, quit while you are ahead, give lots of attention and affection.

You'll know you're close but not too close to the quick when the nail feels slightly velvety and nail shape is square, no longer curved. If you see the white inner core, you're doing well but a tiny bit more is needed. If you cut and it's bleeding, use one of your fingers to press the blood with slight pressure, don't squeeze the nail. If the bleeding stops a bit, then press the corn starch in.

If he freaks out on any of the steps, go back to kindergarten as Karen Pryor says.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

wow. good stuff everyone thanks.

it's been 3/4 months since his last trim so nothing too drastic is needed.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Be sure to let us know how everything goes! :) Good luck!
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

Good luck! I did clicker work with Rhys to get him to accept the Pedi-Paw (doggie dremel, lol) trimmer. I turned it on and did a lot of target work that if he touched it, click and treat, etc. if He'd let me touch it to his paw, click and treat, letting me actually trim a nail (even just a quick pass) click and treat. you get the idea.
I like the dremel, it doesn't seem to bother him and if he jerks and shoves his nail into it, then it just stops. I was terrified I'd cut him with the blade trimmers because he was so spazzy and wriggly about the clippers no matter how much work I did with him. He seemed to have some sort of nail-trauma from his last owner or something that the clippers just freaked him out to no end.