Doggie Life Vest -Any thoughts?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Simba

Doggie Life Vest -Any thoughts?

Post by Simba »

Simba has just started swimming this week after a long haul of dipping and running around and playing in and near the water. We are soooooo happy because we love swimming and wanted to be able to swim with him.

One of his dog park buddies loves the water and swims real far out in the lake. His mom bought him a doggie life vest "to keep him safe" She claims after an hour of swimming even with the vest he is pooped.

My thought is that I would not want Simba to get used to an artificial device that would allow him to do more than he should do in the water and not allow him to learn and experience his limitations. Also, I bet without a life vest the dog would tire after half an hour! I believe that Simba's buddy needs to be mindful and not swim out farther than his owner wants him to and that is the issue.

If anyone has any experience or information that a doggie life vest IS a good idea (keeps them from having to hold their neck up so long by themselves) please let me know. I personally do not think Simba is afraid of the water (or a life vest would help him swim more although maybe it would) or anything. He just needed some time to feel more comfortable in the water. This seems to be slowly happening. I cannot imagine that he would get more exercise with a life vest than he would if he had to use his own muscles to keep himself afloat. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thank you.
My Best Buddy...
Nettle

Re: Doggie Life Vest -Any thoughts?

Post by Nettle »

i think dogs swim better without clothes on.

I also think an hour is WAY too long for a dog to swim.

That's my input :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I'm with Nettle.

However, I did see an episode of either IMOTD or from the *other* tv personality in which the owner went out on the boat a lot (like into rocky water) and her dog would jump from the boat because she didn't have her secured to the boat. So whichever personality it was had the owner put the dog in a vest (because if the dog did jump out the vest had a handle you could pull them into the boat with) as well as secure the dog to the boat so the dog couldn't jump out.

So just for swimming purposes, I agree with Nettle, but I do see how they could be useful in situations like going out on a boat.
Simba

Post by Simba »

thanks for weighing in on the subject. it seemed unnatural and silly; nonetheless, what do i know! the thought from simba's buddy's mom was that if a dog swims out too far and gets tired or chases a duck it might not have the strength to swim back. i do not know if dog's know their own limitations and would not put themselves in a situation where they would swim too far out and not be able to swim back.

simba is still a puppy at a year old and we just want to take the best care of him we can and not put him at risk if we do not have to. since he is a good buddy to this dog we thought he might swim out real far like he does and he has a vest and simba would not. simba would not "come" in that instance too well at that point.

and yes, we ARE working on this along with many many other things...
My Best Buddy...
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I'm with the others, life vests are for boating and similar, the same as people would wear them, not for everyday swimming. It sounds like Siba is doing just fine and will get there in his own time. Just keep it fun!!

Having said that I did use arm bands/water wings for Horus when i was teaching him to swim, but that is when I was in the water with him and used carefully to help give him confidence - I used to be a hyrdrotherapist and am used to using them in this way. I wouldn't advise anyone else to unless they know what they are doing, and I removed them as soon as Horus was happy in the water. I am not too bothered whether he swims or not, but living in a flood area and by several large rivers I wanted to know he could get to safety and was confident on the water.
Simba

Post by Simba »

thanks. we love to swim and live on a lake and near a large lake. we just hoped he would love the water like we do. we have all the patience in the world. he has come a long way. i did not like the idea of the doggie life vest personally; nonetheless, they do sell them so i was wondering if i was missing something and they were really needed.
My Best Buddy...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My Annie loves to swim, and has never needed a life vest. She can swim for an hour, doing repeated water retrieves. Many trained hunting dogs are quite capable of swimming as far as 60 yards out to retrieve a downed duck-- with no life vest. A couple of years ago, we all went camping on the lake (we didn't have Dottie yet). It was very hot where we were, so we spent most of the day (4-6 hours) in the water, swimming, to keep cool. Annie did retrieves from shore. When she got tired, watched for the signs and made sure she had a break. She also let us know she didn't want to sit on shore by herself, so we took turns having someone sit out with her. Of course, Annie weighs 60 lbs. and has a double coat, so that might have something to do with it.

Dottie, on the other hand, will go wading up to her knees, but she does not like to swim. She will start thrashing if I coax her any deeper than her knees.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Young dogs often don't realise their limitations, and excitement can mask tiredness, so as you guessed it is better to keep an eye on what your young dog is doing and stop him before he has had enough. Similarly, as you thought, if he follows a bigger older stronger dog, he may well overdo things. So, as with children - it's up to Mom!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yes, once again it is up to mom. Mom is delighted to have the responsibility to care for this sweet little guy. Those of you who recall his biting/lunging puppy phase earlier on where I was pulling my hair out will no doubt chuckle at the affectionate words I just said. It even surprises me how far we have come. Yesterday, we were looking at some of his puppy photos with much adoration and affection. Not only does time heal all wounds (both physical and emotional) with the passing of time we do not even remember the challenges we had with him as a puppy when we look at his photos. Amen.

We will continue to take him out on the lake sans life vest and just monitor his energy level knowing he cannot compete with a dog his age who is wearing a life vest. Thanks for your words of wisdom.
My Best Buddy...
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Leigha wrote:I'm with Nettle.

However, I did see an episode of either IMOTD or from the *other* tv personality in which the owner went out on the boat a lot (like into rocky water) and her dog would jump from the boat because she didn't have her secured to the boat. So whichever personality it was had the owner put the dog in a vest (because if the dog did jump out the vest had a handle you could pull them into the boat with) as well as secure the dog to the boat so the dog couldn't jump out.

So just for swimming purposes, I agree with Nettle, but I do see how they could be useful in situations like going out on a boat.
It was Victoria's show about a woman and her white Labradoodle. She explained the life vest was needed in case the dog got accidentally toss over by a wave, lost at sea, etc. that it would be easier to save him with the handle and with the bright neon colors, it would be easier to see him.

P.S. Editing button is great!:D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yes, in a boating situation it totally makes sense. However, for just swimming around in the lake not sure it does. We want him to get the most exercise, in the quickest time. A vest, to my thinking, would make it easier for him to swim and take longer to wear him out. And, we all know, "A tired puppy is a happy puppy." Or is that "A tired puppy makes a happy owner!!!"
My Best Buddy...