Skin tag?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

horsefreak88

Skin tag?

Post by horsefreak88 »

Hi all!

Does anyone have experience with skin tags or other growths on dogs? Annie has a small growth on her right shoulder and I am wondering if it could be a skin tag or something similar. It's about the size of a small tick (in fact that's what I thought it was at first), and sort of just hangs there. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it, although it's pretty crusty looking and begins to bleed if handled too much. I called and asked our vet about it, and although he didn't seem too concerned I can't help but worry. She's due for shots in August and I'm wondering if I should wait until then or go ahead and get her checked out now.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :D
Nettle

Re: Skin tag?

Post by Nettle »

It wouldn't be right for us to "advise" on a veterinary issue we can't see, so it is up to you if you take her to the vet now or in August. Sorry, but we really can't offer any useful help here.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

Well, I ended up taking Annie to the vet yesterday. I got home from work and the spot was bleeding so I decided to go ahead and take her in just to be safe. I hate taking her to the vet as it stresses her out so badly, but I wasn't about to take any chances once I'd found it bleeding! The vet said it was a sebaceous adenoma, nothing serious but since it was irritated he went ahead and removed the bit that was hanging off. As long as we keep it clean and it doesn't seem to get any worse, it looks like we should be in good shape. I had never seen anything like it and was curious what sorts of things have popped up on everyone else's dogs :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm so glad it wasn't anything serious.

All my dogs get lumpy when they get old. Just a bit more of them to love. :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
biscuitsmom

Post by biscuitsmom »

I wonder if that is similar to my dog's problem....he has a crusty nose, with a roundish lump on it....its been somewhat dry/crusty for a long time, but suddenly its much worse! Do you have any pics of your dog's bump? Its never bled, but it looks nasty....