Nail Trimming

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RhysMom

Nail Trimming

Post by RhysMom »

I have been working with Rhys on trimming his nails and am able to trim up to 3 nails at a time with him before he gets too worked up. However his previous owners NEVER trimmed his nails and though he's worn them down a bit since I got him, they aren't going down any more. I keep them trimmed as short as I can, but the nerve is at the tip now and the nails have not gotten any shorter for the last month or so. Is there anything I can do to encourage the nerve to retreat so they can be trimmed shorter? They're still quite long.

Thanks
Whitney
Nettle

Re: Nail Trimming

Post by Nettle »

I have found a glass file useful, and I know some dog groomers who use a coarse metal file. Even if you can only do a few strokes at a time, they are good for those nuisance black nails or a nervous dog.

Start one stroke of the file, reward, that's it for the day, next day 2 strokes, reward etc.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

Nettle wrote:I have found a glass file useful, and I know some dog groomers who use a coarse metal file. Even if you can only do a few strokes at a time, they are good for those nuisance black nails or a nervous dog.

Start one stroke of the file, reward, that's it for the day, next day 2 strokes, reward etc.
That's a great idea! I'll go invest in a sturdy looking nail file or rasp. Really, that's how he's worn his nails down on his own, by walking on the sidewalks and pavement, I don't know why I didnt think of that. So used to the horses trying to get hooves to grow, not enough dog time trying to get the nails short... lol.
Doggie303

Post by Doggie303 »

A nail file :!: pity i never thought of that,i get very nery when I try and cut them(i usually leave it to the groomer)
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Doggie303 wrote:A nail file :!: pity i never thought of that,i get very nery when I try and cut them(i usually leave it to the groomer)
Same. Ruperts dew claws need doing every so and sometimes his other nails wear strangely so that they're sharp on one edge. I absolutely HATE cutting them a lthough he just holds still and lets me. The dew claws aren't so bad, it's the weirdly worn ones where I'm cutting just a little jagged spike off that are the problem. I bet a nail file would do it though!
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

Hi everyone, glad I'm not the only one that didnt think of a nail file! lol. :P
Anyway, went to the hardware store and asked the employee where the files are, and as he watched me stare at the variety of files with a puzzled look on my face he asked what I wanted it for. I said to file my dogs nails. he kind of chuckled and took me to the dog aisle. He said his wife uses the Pedi thing (pretty much a dremel with a guard on it and a pawprint design, lol). Now, ever since I saw the thing on TV I was skeptical of it, but decided for $20 I'd give it a try. So I brought it home, found out it needed batteries, got them, and did some clicker work to introduce it to Rhys and get him used to the noise and such and he's doing well with it! It soesn't seem to bother him too terribly. Or at least less than the clippers, and I just do a few quick passes a day and its getting those long nails down faster than my careful clipping ever has. So my problems resolved. yay! One down, only a few more to go...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Emms uses a dremel. I've never dared :lol: I'd need to be shown how to use it - but sounds as if you are doing well.

If using a metal file you need a really coarse one. In UK it's called a bastard file (yes really) but The hardware stores I approached were horrified when I asked :lol: because I look respectable :roll: however the glass file largest size does well also.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I dremmel and clip. The weenies have dark, brittle nails and I can't easily see the quick, so for them I dremmel. Dixie, Bru and the puppies all have very nice translucent nails, so I can see the quick easily. Plus, the weenies have the patience to sit there and let me dremmel, everyone else turns into a bucking bronco with the dremmel, but will tolerate me clipping the nails. Bruiser and Dixie rarely require a trim-up though. I think it's because the all the walking, playing, digging they do. The puppies have Freddie Krueger claws and require trim-ups more often.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Remind me when I do my southern tour in autumn.... and I will attempt to bring a dremel and meet up with you somewhere we can plug one in! Its really easy once you have seen it done!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant