Doggie-safe herbs?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

Doggie-safe herbs?

Post by Wicket »

We have a few potted herbs in the garden: lavender, chive, thyme and rosemary. Would it be okay to give these herbs to my dogs along with their kibble? If so, how much?
Nettle

Re: Doggie-safe herbs?

Post by Nettle »

You would be better to have some herbs that are accessible to the dogs, and they will graze as they need. :) The herbs you mention are all very powerful medically, and the dogs will only take them if they need them.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep - make a doggy herb border wtih as wide a selection of herbs as you can find (especially some of the more old-fashioned ones)... and let doggies choose what they want to have.

They do this in zoo's now for some animals (chimps that i know of, i would be surprised if it isnt offered to more animals though)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Thanks for the information. My chi-poo was sniffing the herbs (mostly the thyme) the other day while I was watering them and I took them away because I didn't know if they were safe; she's only interested in the grass outside too.

So you're saying that if the dog is feeling unwell, she will know which herb to eat and feel better?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Some herbs, particularly rosemary, is commonly added to some of the higher quality dog foods. The only one in that list you mentioned that I personally would be hesitant to offer is the chives (related to onion, which is not good for dogs). A few other herbs that we usually consider to be noxious weeds, but which actually have a lot of nutritional value, are: dandelions, burdock weed, and marshmallow.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I also have herbs in pots and the dogs do sometimes sniff them. I have chives too, and ditto what Fundog said, although, my 2 doesn't touch the chives so I don't know whether it's the smell or do they actually know they won't benefit from it.

I feed raw and *sometimes* I add parsley or basil to their veggie mix, but it's not really necessary
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

I was watering and pruning the herbs today. The herbs are in little pots and when I put them on the ground to water them, she came over and sniffed it, especially interested in the rosemary and lavender. While I was pruning the lavender, a fresh piece (about 1 g size) fell and she ate the whole thing; she then went over the rosemary and was trying to figure out how to get a piece of that but failed.

The dogs and I had a stressful day yesterday. I've always put a tiny bit lavender oil on her bedding (to help with separation anxiety) and her kibble has rosemary extract in it. The lavender seemed to have calmed her nerve and made her eyes/coat sparkle too.

My Chi-poo is like a poky little puppy or a toddler, always eating/chewing whatever isn't nailed to the ground but her choice of homeopathic treatment seems to have worked out well.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Honestly how do you all get your dogs to eat them and not "hike" on them? I know my dachshunds are shall we say rather a rowdy bunch, but they killed all of the herbs I put out by "over watering". :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Raised herb beds :wink:

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hehehe, you wouldnt have to raise them that far for Dachsies!

Wonder how high i need them for my lot... though kelda is a girl... but shed just sit on stuff and kill it that way....
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have raised beds but since Dolly came they are now part of an agility course :roll:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Mattie wrote:I have raised beds but since Dolly came they are now part of an agility course :roll:
:lol: It's the same with Bibi :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol: What fun!