Natural remedy for allergies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Natural remedy for allergies

Post by Noobs »

I'm looking at some of these remedies for the skin rash Murphy got from being out in nature all of last month. His vet told me that he just has sensitive skin and that he'll have seasonal allergies probably all his life. So she gave me stuff to use to clean the skin and some ointment as well. But has anyone had any experience or have any thoughts about the home remedies in this page?

http://www.ehow.com/way_5172738_natural ... rgies.html
Leigha

Re: Natural remedy for allergies

Post by Leigha »

Bruiser, Dixie and the babies all have skin allergies and they're driving me nuts with them. I can't take the licking and chewing anymore--which I'm sure they can't either, but God that's an annoying sound, so when you figure out a good remedy, PLEASE let me know. The stuff we had that we thought was working... yeah not so much. I know it has something to do with a weed that's growing in our backyard, because they were fine when it was cold outside, but I have no clue which weed it is.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Ok guys, truly there is NOTHING better in the entire world in my opinion for itchy dogs than bathing with allermyl shampoo. I have seen dogs removed from medication for itching by using this product. It is so much more than just a shampoo. If I didn't have it at my house, I would be having daily scratch fests (I have 2 out of 5 that are allergic to everything :D ) The other thing I do to soothe the skin is brew up some chammomile tea, I make it double strength, allow it to cool, then apply to the itchy areas with a cotton ball, seems to help my pack of hyena's with the irritation and itching issues.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Where do you get it?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

The allermyl, you should be able to get online, ebay has it I know, www.pupspetsupply can get it for you, it is NOT a prescription product, so I would comparison shop for the best deal.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Noobs and Leigha, has your vet suggested benadryl at all? I know it's not natural but my Poodle gets insanely itchy on her feet (and modifying her diet has helped too) due to grass pollen and/or fungus, creating hair loss and red bumps on her skin from her biting and sometimes giving her some benadryl on her really bad days has helped. It does make her a bit drowsy but it gives her hot spots time to heal.

Another thing I've done is bathed her more frequently, only using the anti-bacteria/anti-fungal medicated shampoo on her pads/feet. She used to be bathed only once a month at the groomers, and it was every two weeks and now it's once a week. With her curly coat, she gets dirt, grass, and allergens stuck on her skin easily and cleaning her skin/coat has alleviated her symptoms. (Not to mention, a clean, matt-free coat grows better hair and faster too!)

I don't know what coat type your dog is, Noobs, but I hope this can help! :)
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

During Bru's first summer with us we should have had stock in Benadryl with as much as we gave it to him. Puppies are the same. It works in the sense that they don't itch, but that's mostly because they're sleeping after we give it to them.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm not so certain this actually works, but it won't hurt to try: get some local honey (made from bees and flowers local to your area) and give them all a little taste of it each day. Supposedly the theory is, that it helps to build the body's immunity to the local pollens by giving a small dose of it each day. It's never actually worked for me, but some folks say it has helped them.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

We actually do have a local honey person. I'm not sure their technical name. They're at our farmer's market sometimes. I'll just go every weekend 'til they show up. Jason doesn't mind, I end up bringing stuff home that I cook with :)
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

He's got short hair, and yes, he's also on Benadryl. We crush a tablet in his food daily. He gets bathed in oatmeal shampoo but I'll see if I can get some anti-bacterial stuff.

I am curious if anyone has experience with apple cider vinegar...people on this page seem to swear by it.
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

Thanks everyone!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I used apple cider vinegar on Dixie when I first got her. Not sure that it actually worked though because the itchiness was from lice and not allergies.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

The site had comments from people who used it on itchiness due to everything from allergies to fleas to everything in between, so I'm glad to know it worked on Dixie. Thanks!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

This idea is a bit hokey (it will look dorky), but it is one thing that works for me personally (I have a fantasy of a sheet of sandpaper on the wall to rub against): Get some zinc oxide, commonly known as diaper rash ointment, the whit stuff. Rub that on their bellies and inner thighs, then put little t-shirts on all of them, to not only protect your home from getting ointment all over, but to also minimize contact of the weeds/grasses with the dogs' skin, and to keep the zinc oxide from getting rubbed off. While they are still rashy and itchy, you can first apply a bit of hydrocortizone cream to the inflamed spots, then the zinc oxide on top of that. You will notice an immediate difference-- within 24 hours. Then, once the rashes are gone, you can skip the cortizone cream and just do the zinc oxide. Keep up the zinc oxide and t-shirts every day until whatever it is they are allergic to is gone for the season.

This might be a bit TMI, but I have a bit of an allergy to my own perspiration. When my perspiration stays in contact with my skin, rather than being allowed to evaporate, I get severe dermatitis-- not only itchy, but painful and raw. So I found the above instructions to be immensely helpful.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

In the UK, I think what you are putting on is called zinc and caster oil cream, used it a lot when my boys were babies.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Probably so. In the U.S. the fancy expensive brand name is Desitin. But it comes in generic also, which costs quite a bit less.