Natural remedy for allergies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennyf

Re: Natural remedy for allergies

Post by jennyf »

I think the problem with allergies is finding what works for your pet. Some things that I know have worked is the arommesse stuff - they do lovely cream and anti-itch.

http://www.aromesse.com

Neem and coconut oil shampoo - available on abay if you do a search. This is a lovely shampoo and can be used for all animals.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Rose, Lavender and Tea Tree essential oils have anti-septic properties. Perhaps adding a drop of oil to the shampoo can help alleviate the skin rash or apply it directly. However, if the dog is allergic to pollen that might not be the best idea and having too much oil in the coat can cause it to flake.

If the skin around the rash is thin or is fair-haired dog, it would be good to use doggie-safe sunscreen or zinc oxide free baby sunscreen to protect it in the hot weather. A burn on top of a rash is never good.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Here's an article I found about using essential oils with animals. :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Careful with that article. The blends are good but the dilutions are not. I am a qualified Aromatherapist and have also completed a good course in Aromatherapy for animals.

Because of a dog's very powerful sense of smell, essential oils can do more harm than good. If you do use them (I do in the case of injuries that might become infected - my dogs get spectacular injuries) the dilution should be very weak, much weaker than those quoted. Never believe all you read on people's websites: it ain't always the truth.

Scents we like can be disgusting to dogs much as scents they like are disgusting to us :lol:

Oils such as lavender and rose used in a room diffuser are fine as long as the dog can choose to leave the room. Tea tree is far too strong to use on a dog at any time. Several of the oils mentioned can cause abortion - most of you don't breed your dogs but someone else reading the article might be thinking of it.

Unless people really know what they are doing, aromatherapy is best kept away from animals except as quoted. Essential oils are very strong medicines not just pretty scents.

Thank you so much, Wicket, for bringing this article to us so that I can warn people of the drawbacks.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

My vet has prescribed an herbal supplement for Rhys called Wind Toxin along with a high quality kibble (he's getting Nature's Variety Instinct) and/or a raw diet. It has helped immensely and his fur is growing back and his skin is a healthy pink again. I also bathe him with Best Shot Pet Product's Lemon-Aid shampoo, he's never itchy after bath time any more. It seems to be working, I also get lots of compliments on how great he looks now from everyone.

Benadryl hardly even did anything when I tried it on Rhys and I was uncomfortable feeding him Benadryl long term. I know a lot of dogs are helped by it though.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That's brilliant: can you tell us more about Wind Toxin?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

The Wind Toxin is a Chinese herbal (comes in little BB-sized pills) by Dr. Xie's Jing-tang Herbal Inc.
They are available only through a chinese herbal certified vet. It is a short term supplement, he's been on it about a month and the vet has me weaning him off it now.
My obedience class teacher recommended the vet to me, but you can find a vet to evaluate your dog and recommend a supplement for them on their website: http://www.tcvmherbal.com/contact.asp
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My sil was telling me that she uses an animal herbalist for her animals (she has a farm with all sorts of agricultural livestock). She emphasized that he is NOT an actual vet, but an ANIMAL HERBALIST. She said he has saved two of her horses, to the extent she won't even be bothered with a real vet.

My interest is piqued, and I do want to learn more, however, I will also be using a certified veterinarian for my dogs' needs, especially vaccines and such.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
RhysMom

Post by RhysMom »

I would definitely look into the herbals, I have noticed a definite improvement in Rhys with the herbal. My vet started as a traditional vet (so she can do all my "normal vet" things too), but also deals with and extensively studies herbal and diet therapies and acupuncture and acupressure to use along with or instead of traditional therapies.