French Bulldog puppy- operation??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ioannemi42

French Bulldog puppy- operation??

Post by ioannemi42 »

i have a little frenchie named shrek.. he is only 5 months old.. the vet told me that he has a problem with his anatomy, his two front feet are not placed well.. also he has an allergy to his Scalibor Collar and he can not wear it.. as if it wasnt this enough he hasnt got yet his two balls, because only the one came down.. the vet says that he may need to operate him to take his other ball out. I have read about french bulldogs because of their breathing problems that they shouldnt put in anaesthesia.. and that it is dangerous.. i dont know what to do.. on the other hand we cant leave his ball inside..
Nettle

Re: French Bulldog puppy- operation??

Post by Nettle »

At five months old there is still plenty of time for the other ball to drop. I'd leave that until he is a year old before surgery.

Meanwhile, check with the breeder if the retained testicle has occurred in others he/she has bred, which will give you some idea if they drop late or not at all. Also it's a good idea to check with breeders about the breathing with French Bulldogs, and also check with other vets what they know about breathing issues and anaesthetics. Worth an Internet Search too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ioannemi42

Post by ioannemi42 »

ok thank you, i will get in touch with the breeder this week to ask him about this problem.. i have searched the internet about the breathing issues and it seems that this problem is unavoidable and all the french bulldogs have it..
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I believe with dogs that are a high risk, they can use "gas" instead of standard anesthesia. It could be due to the HIDEOUS and I do mean HIDEOUS cost of the anesthesia your vet is trying to save you money and of course another surgery, by combining the two surgeries, but if this were my dog, I would wait until he was at least a year to 2 years old to have this repair done, the reason they don't like to leave them inside is they often become cancerous if not removed. Please do not breed this dog as this can be a genetic defect, it is called cryptorchid syndrome.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My Staffy has a trachotomy in, this is her story, http://tracheotomy-in-dogs.yolasite.com/ Since this was done in January 2009 she has had another 6 anaesthetics, last Monday was the latest. She comes through them like any other dog but my vets always use the best anaesthetics, never the cheap ones. It is worth the money to have the best.

Each time Ellie has had an anaesthetic there hasn't been a choice, I am worried sick each time but she always bounces back, she isn't a young dog like your pup, but at least 13 years old and may be older.

I would also wait until your dog has matured before having the operation for his ball, it can still drop, dogs like humans do things at different times.

Good luck with your pup, don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't understand anything, we are always happy to help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

Yes French Bulldogs have more problems breathing then other dogs but if you have a vet who is used to doing surgery on bulldogs then you should be fine. The trick is keeping the dog calm and getting the tube in the trachea very quickly. Most anesthesia problems can be avoided with good monitoring. I always warn clients that we have more problems with bulldogs but we do a lot of them.

As for the retained testicle, it could still drop but usually if it is not down by 3 to 4 months it is not going to come down. You do have to go find the retained one because it can turn cancerous over time. Again good anesthesia is key. Also if you are considering doing any soft palate resection or nasal enlargement at the same time, find someone who has good experience with laser surgery. I usually am not a big fan of laser surgery (I think it is a lot of hype and expense) but in this case for those types of surgery I think it is much better then with a blade. The dogs have minimal swelling and recover very well.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com