Can anyone help figure out what is wrong with my dog?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

barratda

Can anyone help figure out what is wrong with my dog?

Post by barratda »

Hi there,

I am really worried about my staffordshire Bonita, a female who is 3 and half years old. When she was about 6 months old she had a reaction to something in the park when she was off the lead and went mad running wildly and foaming at the mouth. We calmed her down and she was fine, we took her to the vet and they said maybe she got stung by a bee and it freaked her out. Then about a year ago she started acting really wierd after a long walk out over Savil Garden, arching her back and looking like she is in spasm and hopping on her legs i am attaching a video... but when I get her home and cuddle her she relaxes and goes back to normal. She doesnt make noises when it happens, shes wags her tail but as her owner I think she looks confused and scared and i never know when it is going to happen so now feel I cant take her for walks cause I have to carry her which is virtually impossible now as shes got bigger. The vets say they think it might be behavioural, it has happened alot more in the past 3 months and im worrying it could be leading up to something.

Please could anyone help?
jacksdad

Re: Can anyone help figure out what is wrong with my dog?

Post by jacksdad »

I would seek a second opinion from another vet.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I agree.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

And me too, seek another vets opinion on this one.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
sarahjayne

Post by sarahjayne »

Hi barratda,
Did you get a second opinion ?
What was the outcome ? did you find out what was causing this ? It sounds like some kind of epileptic fit.
I hope you managed to find out what it was and to find a treatment :)
Thinking of you :)
barratda

Post by barratda »

Hi there, Yes I have had 3 opinions, 2 think I need to get an MRI, 1 thinks she should go to a behavioural expert but none of them have a clue what it might be. A friend who has owned a lot of staffs thinks ot might be something to do with her brain which when she gets over excited she doesnt switch off from it, he is going to mail me all the details tomorrow. Its just horrible as took her out for a walk the other day to test the water and a dog went for her for no reason as we were walking, she didnt act have a turn though so that was a relief. I will keep you all updated, i have video footage but I cant get it up on here, I will figure a way for a link and post it asap. Thanks :D
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Put the video on a site like youtube, then put the link here and we can normally access them that way.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

If she was mine I would have the MRI scan, several of my dogs have had one, Merlin had 2, if it doesn't find the cause it can rule out a lot which takes the guessing out.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No behaviourist worth his/her salt will take on a dog that has not been cleared medically first. All the best with the tests and hope you find the key to her issues soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

The other dog who went after her "for no reason" probably sensed something was wrong. I also think you should take the advice of the two vets and get the MRI. Best of luck, please keep us posted. I hope everything is okay. Hugs to you.
sarahjayne

Post by sarahjayne »

The MRI scan does sound like a good idea. As Mattie says if it doesn't find the cause it would at least rule out a number things.
I do hope you find out what's wrong, as it doesn't sound as though you're having a very good time :(
Keep us up dated, I hope all goes well.
Thinking of you :)
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

I had a dog with severe head trauma at the time a CAT Scan was advised but they said it cost $2000. and it may or may not show anything and if it required surgery cost another $4500. which may may not help or could die on the table so we opted not to spend the money and two other vets agreed we were right not to waste the money it still ended up costing us over $2000. dollars to keep him alive for three months but in the end he had to be euthanized any way so unless you have pet insurance (we didn't at the time) I wouldn't spend the money and an MRI is even more expensive than a CAT Scan. Just my two cents worth but it's your money and your pet so do what you want
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
barratda

Post by barratda »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MCKSfJ6Rw

The video of Bonita at her worst
sarahjayne

Post by sarahjayne »

Oh poor thing !
I understand how upsetting it must be for you to see her like that. (It really doesn't look like she's doing this voluntarily)
Maybe if you show the video to the vet it could help him find out what's wrong with her.
I hope you manage to find out whats wrong and to treat the problem.
Keep us informed.
All the best :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Change your vet and get one that will listen to you, that doesn't look behavioural to me.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]