doggie wheelchair

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lorie

doggie wheelchair

Post by Lorie »

Our 15+ year old Dingo mix (weight 35 pounds now, down from 55, years ago) has gradually developed progressive lower back problems and a weakening back leg. We've built a ramp into backyard, etc. and now are looking into purchasing a wheelchair for him, so he can continue walks and hopefully strengthen his leg muscles. I've been using a hip harness on walks so I can support his hips, but having to hold him up at a specific angle for so long is making my neck/back problems worse now. Has anyone used these before? Any tips?
emmabeth

Re: doggie wheelchair

Post by emmabeth »

Is there any way you can borrow one to see if your dog takes to it without you having to purchase it outright at what I expect would be a fairly high cost..

I know in the UK there are a couple of people who do doggy wheels and borrowing/hiring/trying before you buy is an option here.

I have seen some dogs take to them really well and used to know a little dog who had used her wheels since she was a pup, she was, in her wheels, as agile as most dogs would be normally on legs , except for occasionally getting stuck because she couldnt judge the height of the contraption.

That said. for an elderly dog whilst it is an option worth looking at - I would not get your hopes up too much. I do hate to say this but be brutally honest with yourselves - will these wheels vastly increase HIS quality of life? Or is it more for your own benefit in keeping him going longer.

I must point out, I ask this from the POV of someone who recently lost a 15 year old dog, and I am very aware that whilst we could have eeked out her life a few more days or weeks... it would have been for our benefit and not hers.

By all means, try it out if you can but if your dog doesnt take to the wheels fairly quickly I think you have to ask yourself if it is really fair.

I will keep my fingers x that you can find some wheels to try out and that he likes them and takes to them straight away!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Lorie

Post by Lorie »

I agree about not prolonging the situation for my own benefit. But other than the back leg issue, he does well for his age. Though he's on something for arthritis, but it doesn't seem to slow him down a lot. His face lights up when we do go on walks, and he adapted to the sling for his back hips (which is only used on walks) very well. He even lies down quickly when I pick it up for a walk! So I am hopeful about the wheels. Especially in using it to help strengthen that weak leg. Walks do help strengthen it, but I don't expect a magic cure. He enjoys the walks more than anything, so this may allow for more of them. Thanks for the input!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Hydro gave my old lady an extra 2 years by strengthening the muscles in her back legs, she had arthritis in all 4 legs and feet, both shoulders and spine, she also had a compressed disc in her spine and both crutial ligaments had gone, up to the day she had a stroke and was pts, she was active and played with my 2 youngsters.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Lorie

Post by Lorie »

That would be wonderful, but we're in a small town with nothing like that anywhere around. The wheelchair is working really well so far. We're getting him used to it inside the house first, and he has started using his "bad" legs now, so I'm very hopeful that the legs will strengthen. He can stand on his own now to eat his food, and seems to be happy about that! It looks like he has training wheels. Some difficulty maneuvering corners, but he loves running down the hallway! (He hasn't been able to run for a year or so.)