Everybodies favourite subject Stools!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MarkF

Everybodies favourite subject Stools!!

Post by MarkF »

Hi peeps

Just curious as to opinions. My 6mnth old boxer, like alot of boxers, has loose stools. First stool of the morning is fine, then when I arrive home its fine, then after his lunch its really quite loose, then after any he does seems to be loose.

He has nothing different to eat in between, his basic dog food and gravy bones as treats....and not many of those. My big boxer boy isn't as bad, generally firm stools......just can't think what could be the cause.

Any suggestions

Mark & the boys
Mark & the Boys
Fundog

Re: Everybodies favourite subject Stools!!

Post by Fundog »

My Llewellin Setter, Dottie has the same problem: loose stools. Our vet diagnosed her with "fiber reactive colitis." Fiber therapy added to her diet helps her IMMENSELY! So in the mornings I give her and our other dog (who is fat and needs to lose a few pounds) frozen vegetables on top of their food. The veggies are good for our fat girl, in that they help her to feel more full and satisfied without adding a lot of extra calories and fats. The fiber from the veggies helps our Dottie's stool consistency. In the evening she gets 1/2 teaspoon of Metamucil added to her food (plus water). It is really helping her a lot, as I said. There are also a lot of other things you can add that are high in fiber, and tasty, such as a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin-- I don't do that, simply because it is so high in beta-carotene, and the orange poop kind of freaks me out, lol. I'd rather see green/brown stools, from the green veggies. My two LOVE, LOVE, LOVE frozen peas. (an excellent source of fiber, by the way). Spinach is good too. I usually use frozen spinach, but if I use the fresh kind, I chop it up in the blender with some water first, then freeze in small measured containers. My girls like broccoli and cauliflower too-- another high fiber vegetable.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

My big boy loves veg, and ickle en is starting to get the taste for them, I just thought veg would make them worse, when you say frozen veg, dog you add it to there food frozen? Or am i now sound really thick.....lol
Mark & the Boys
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Your little guy may have a food allergy, lots of people think it can only manifest as itching, but food allergies can and do manifest themselves as very loose stools. The canned pumpkin works very well. Fundog, how can you not love trick or treat poo? :lol: See what happens and go from there.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Haloween poo sounds fabulous........lol

Not sure canned pumpkin is that popular over here though......so might have to try something else
Mark & the Boys
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, with my two I just open a bag and sprinkle the veggies on top of their food, frozen. I also add warm water to their dry kibble (it also helps them feel full). Some folks prefer to puree the veggies up in a blender, but I don't bother. Sometimes I will use the frozen veggies as a treat-- they will spring up in the air to catch a single pea tossed to them, lol!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

Many dogs do have fiber responsive colitis and it has the typically presentation that you see. Remember that 80% of water in the diet is absorbed through the colon when the stool has been in the colon for awhile - like over night, then the stools will be more solid because the water is absorbed. During the day when the colon is actively moving and pushing things through then it does not have time to absorb the water and therefore you have loose stools. Fiber helps to reduce inflammation in the colon and slow down transit time allowing for more water to be absorbed and you get better stools.

You can use all types of fiber but I usually are recommend pumpkin because most dogs eat it. Start with small amount 1 teaspoon and move to a tablespoon over time. Lots of time it does the trick.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Aaaah. :idea: Hey, I learned something today. Thanks, Duffy! :D
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Hi guys thnx for the advice....sounds as though that may be the problem. As I said pumpkin isn't really popular over here and I've never seen tinned pumpkin.....I know big boy likes sweet potato and cooked carrot, are there any veg to avoid?
Mark & the Boys
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Just a quick update and a thank you to Fundog and Duffy. Been adding butternut squash and some fibre pellets to the boys food and it really has worked well. Jonte in particular is a lot better. Thinking of trying oats as well as butternut squash is seasonal and hard to get frozen, peas don't go down that well but going to try other veg like carrots and ive since read peeled apples and pears are helpful.

So again a big thank you :D
Mark & the Boys
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Hey that's great news! Yeah, don't use peas anymore. I don't think dogs can digest them, same reason as corn if I'm not mistaken.

Avoid onions. Try broccoli, my dog loves chewing the stalks for fun but I also give him the florets.