Raw Food diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You could try a book by a guy called Pitcairn, i think KathyM has experience of his sort of cooked diet, im not 100% sure.

Probably best to start a thread about cooked diets rather than adding on to one about raw.

Since you have joined the one about raw food though i will tell you ive been feeding raw for over 6 years, not one of my dogs is blood thirsty, this is a ridiculous idea, i dont know where it has come from but people have told me that my dogs will become blood thirsty, savage, unsafe around children and all manner of wild and exciting things...

None of it is true, in fact my dogs have become calmer and healthier.

Dogs might be a domestic pet, but domestication does not change evolution and dogs have only been eating tinned and dry dog food for the last 60 - 70 years. Previous to that they ate raw meat and human scraps.

Feeding a raw diet doesnt make a dog revert back to being a wild dog - its not as if we are all advocating sending our dogs out to hunt down deer, antelope, or feeding carrion , which is what a WILD dog would do.

We prepare our dogs food, we blend their veggies to make up for the fact that dog teeth are not designed to eat whole veg (they would eat stomach contents of herbivores though). We provide them with a wide range of foods, which again is not at all like a wild dogs diet...

Feral dogs that could be described as savage and blood thirsty are probably starving hungry - raw fed dogs are not!

My advice would be to go and research complete food, dry food, raw food AND cooked food, and make an informed choice based on a good few months research, and THEN you can see what suits your dog. After all, what suits HER might not be what YOU like, and shes the one thats important here.

Oh and feeding scraps isnt always bad but that very much depends on teh quality of the scraps.
In the days when that was generally meat, meat stock and veg, offal and relatively few overprocessed over salted/sugared foods, that was ok. These days a vast amount of a typical humans diet is no better than canned dog food!

Em