Ate something dead.

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

Ate something dead.

Post by yummybagel »

Four days ago, I was walking my year old Beagle, and he picked up something from the ground and ate it. It was so quick, I couldn't do anything about it. I had no idea what it was until I saw some fur/feathers sticking out of his mouth. It seemed like a small bird with really wet feathers since it's been raining alot here in Fremont, California recently. And several month ago he got a dead bird in his mouth and dropped it, so I assumed it was a bird. I am still a student so I had no money to take him to the vet immediately, so I decided to watch him. He didn't get sick or anything so I just made an appointment to be dewormed (since it is free in the hospital we go to because he has some kind of plan, similar to insurance). But now that I think about it, this happened on a field full of gopher holes, and I am worried that it could have been a gopher or a squirrel. It seemed to have been dead awhile, but I'm really not sure if I should be concerned. I've read that dogs can get rabies by eating a rabid wild animal. He got his rabies vaccination last August. Would rabies be a problem in this situation?
josie1918

Re: Ate something dead.

Post by josie1918 »

Your dog will be fine, rabies vaccine can be 1 year or 3 year depending upon the type he was given last August. Gotta love them Beagles :D