Safe insect repellants

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Safe insect repellants

Post by MPbandmom »

I use Frontline plus on the dogs to protect them from fleas and ticks, and use interceptor heartworm preventative. But then there are still gnats, and flies and mosquitoes that pester them. We also have a cat in the house, so I avoid any product that would be potentially harmful to the cat which some dog repellants are. I don't even like to use bug spray repellants on myself. I normally spray my clothing, like socks and a hat to keep insects from crawling up my legs or flying around my face. One person mentioned that they spray a bandana with insect repellant, allow it to dry and then put that on their dog to repel those pesky flying insects. I recently purchased an organic/ non deet containing natural insect repellant and want to be certain there isn't anything in it that would harm the dogs before I spray it on a bandana and place it on the dogs. It contains soybean oil, geranium oil, caster oil as well as water, coconut oil, glycerin, lecithin, wintergreen oil, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate and benzoic acid. It's warnings are to keep out of eyes, off of lips, and to avoid contaminating food stuffs.

Does anybody see anything in these ingredients that shouldn't be put on a bandanna and placed on a dog? Does anybody know of something better to use?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Re: Safe insect repellants

Post by Nettle »

I have a lot of hats. One of them is that I practised as an Aromatherapist (including animal therapeutic Aromatherapy) years, and taught the subject to physiotherapists.

I am truly not happy with essential oils on dogs. At the concentrations that are safe (which I'm sure yours would be) they don't do a lot to annoy insects. At the concentrations that repel (and repellents only repel some insects) they are strong enough to cause skin and other allergy issues on susceptible dogs (which means that others will be okay). You could try it and see how yours get on, but if any have a depleted immune system, skin issues, are very young or very old, don't. Also factor in that to an animal with such a fantastic sense of smell, the scents around all the time may cause distress. For sure, dogs hate many smells we love.

Of the oils you mention, wintergreen is a category 1 toxicity, which means having to be very careful with it. It has many interesting medical properties, and I use it in my wardrobe to repel moths, but it is tricky stuff.

It's quite a tightrope to nwalk. I walk it too, because I hate using unnecessary chemicals on dogs.

This is what I have found helpful:

Brewers' years tablets daily - 1 for a small dog, 2 for a big dog. Warning: they increase libido in some.
A sulphur block in one water dish (must be ceramic or toughened glass, not metal or plastic) and a plain water dish available also, because the dogs choose the sulphur they need. Only during fly season for either of those.

There is a mixture of herbs we can get in UK that we put in dogs' food - it's made by CSJ and called Billy No Mates. Because of UK legislation, they are not allowed to claim it is insect repellent, but it is, is safe, and they seem to eat it without fuss. If you can get it, do try it (try on a small dish of food first!).

Finally there is an Avon Cosmetics product that used to be called Skin So Soft and is now Woodland something or other. It isn't sold as an insect repellent but a skincare item - in fact it is such a good insect repellent that people here use it on their horses! Horses being notoriously sensitive-skinned, this might well be gentle enough to try on a bandanna and maybe backs of ears and root of tail.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Nettle wrote: Finally there is an Avon Cosmetics product that used to be called Skin So Soft and is now Woodland something or other. It isn't sold as an insect repellent but a skincare item - in fact it is such a good insect repellent that people here use it on their horses! Horses being notoriously sensitive-skinned, this might well be gentle enough to try on a bandanna and maybe backs of ears and root of tail.
I first started to use this on my horse after reading that the Pot Bellied Pig Society was recommending it to keep these away from the pigs, I now use it during the summer on myself and my dogs. Just after I started to use it I went for a pub lunch with some friends, we were sitting outside in the beer garden and there were lots and lots of wasps. The wasps were all round my husband and friends but none came near me. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I don't know why I keep forgetting about Avon Skin so soft! I have placed my order with my local Avon representative.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.