Giardia advise

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pmcrae71

Giardia advise

Post by pmcrae71 »

I had to take Oz to the vet yesterday. He hadn't eaten in two days and was drinking very little. He also had some runny poo issues. They tested him and said he has giardia. A parasite that he got from othe fecal matter in the yard. We live right next to a wooded area so we have alot of wild animals around and our neighbors have cats that they just let run loose (they haven't had their shots, I asked them about it becuase they just run loose). The vet thinks that he may have gotten it that way. Anyway. I want to 'clean' my yard where the boys go but not sure of how to do it. I pick up after them everytime they go so I'm sure they got it from other animals around. Connor started with the runny poo today and hasn't eaten at all today, I took him right to the vet this afternoon and they tested his poo but only had a high bacteria count, not the giardia, but gave him the meds for it just in case.

Does anyone know how I could clean the yard to at least reduce it? Probably just making sure everything is picked up and maybe spraying down the grass with the water hose? There is a large dirt spot where they go and was thinking of getting some fresh top soil to put over the area. Does anyone think that will help? Ugh! this is making me crazy! Any advise on this would be very much welcome.

Ozzy is doing much better today btw. He ate his supper and Connors too! I'll keep a very close eye on Connor as he is much smaller than Oz is and can get very sick very fast. He hasn't left my side at all today. Has to be in my lap at anytime I'm sitting down and my daughter told me that when I had to leave earlier today, he paced and whined the whole time I was gone. His gums are still wet and so is his nose and his skin still goes back to place when I pinch it so he's not dehydrated. But I am keeping a very close eye on him (and Ozzy too).
josie1918

Re: Giardia advise

Post by josie1918 »

If I were you, since you do live close to a wooded area, I would be sure Ozzy gets vaccinated for this disease, since it is carried by all sorts of creatures, there really isn't a way to be positive your yard will be clean, it can also be found in water where the infected animals have been. My opinion is vaccinate. (This is an annual vaccine.)
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

Is that a special vaccine I should ask for?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

This vaccine is one you need to tell your vet you would like, he/she will have no trouble getting it for you and it is not obscenely exensive. I would have your clinic put it in your dogs file that this be given yearly with your dogs check up and dhlppc. It usually isn't needed unless you have the disease in your area, as you do, have hunting dogs that hunt, or you take your dogs wilderness hiking etc.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Do you have the option of fencing the yard? It is possible to do it in such a way that even cats can't get in, by putting an overhang at the top of the fence.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

Connor gets his vac's next month so I will make sure I ask for the giardia one as well to prevent this in the future and Ozzy isn't due for his until November but will call the to get his done when I take Connor. We can fence our yard but hubby doesn't want to. I have been after him for years to fence it but he refuses. I'd like to have it just so I can let them out in the back yard to run around without having to tie them out one at a time. Even just a small portion of the back would be fine, not the whole thing. I'll keep working on him and see what I can do about that.
GDannyboy

Post by GDannyboy »

There is no vacination for giardia at this time, only treatments. For more information do a websearch for 'giardia in dogs'.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

There most definately is a viccine for giardia. It has been available for quite a few years now. Please check with your vet, not the internet.
OHenry

Post by OHenry »

As someone mentioned above, one of the main ways dogs get giardia is from drinking contaminated water (our dog had it when we got him from the shelter, boo). You want to make sure that your dog isn't drinking from puddles and ditches around your yard or in the neighborhood.