pups energy level has dropped dramatically-should i worry?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

pups energy level has dropped dramatically-should i worry?

Post by sez88 »

Hi :)
Charlie is doing so well, learning all the time and growing up to be a lovely dog.
Recently though his energy levels seemed to have dropped dramatically, he is a collie x lab and was practically bouncing off the walls when he was younger. now though he sleeps ALOT!! He is 5months old.

Ive been home with him today and had to drag him off the sofa to go on a walk.
Once he is outside he loves playing with other dogs and wont stop untill he has said hi to everyone in the park. He always follows me around the park and never refuses to move so outside his energy levels seem normal.

He began going to doggy day care in Feb when we work long shifts, which he loves (he nearly pulls me over getting from the car to the day care house!!-the only time he pull on the lead other than when he is trying to get to a pigeon! :lol: ) When he gets home from there he is shattered! he just curls up next to us on the sofa. At day care he and the other dogs go on three walks a day and Clare (the lady who runs it) tells us he plays with the other dogs and puppies alot.

He eats all his food and seems fine other than his unusual lack of energy. Do you think I should be worried about his energy drop? is it usual? or is it just because he is tiring himself out at day care?

opinions please.
Enjoying life with our pup charlie...he had us at 'woof'!
Nettle

Re: pups energy level has dropped dramatically-should i worry?

Post by Nettle »

What is he like on those days he doesn't go to day care?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Today was one of those days...
He got up at 6am when my OH went to work and had breakfast.
At 8 am i got up, after my breakfast we went for a 45min off lead walk where he played with the dogs at the park.
When we got home I did some housework and he followed me round the house - he likes to be with us all the time. at 11:30 I had a meeting for work at my house, charlie got excited when the doorbell rang but soon calmed down and found a comfy spot on the sofa. He was there until i put his lunch down (he is still on 3 meals a day atm) and then went back to lie down again.
I encouraged him to play for a bit which he did for about 10mins and then went back to sleep.
My meeting finished not long ago so he hasnt been on his usual midday walk but will go on one in about an hour. He has just this minute taken himself out into the garden but I expect he will be in again very soon!

He will get excited when my OH comes home at 8 and will prob sleep again untill we go to bed.

sometimes he doesnt sleep but just lies around.

My OH says im worrying over nothing but im not so sure :?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Do you know how he is at doggy day care? Is he playing all day long?
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Yeah thats what ive been told. I stayed for the first couple of times when he was only there for an hour just to see how he got on and he was playing constantly.
As i say ive been told he plays most of the time he is there and it wouldnt surprise me if he did, as soon as we meet with another dog its like he gets a sudden energy boost and he wants to play for as long as he can.