Fruit?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RoddyB

Fruit?

Post by RoddyB »

HI,
Our border collie Poppy can only eat natural food - no dairy, additives or preservatives, etc. Previously I've offered her carrots, raw greens and now she's eating mango, apple, raspberries, grapes (in very small quantities - 3 grapes or a slice of mango etc). She really enjoys it (watermelon is a current favourite) but I've never had a dog who liked any of this stuff. Then I had a horrid thought that maybe it's bad for dogs, but I've yet to come across anything saying it's unwise to do so...
Any advise? I'm not offering her fruit daily and only in small amounts.
Many thanks in advance
Roddy
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

There's not much nutrition for dogs in fruit, but in "treat" quantities it doesn't do any harm, and many dogs like the taste and the texture.

Too much, and you might notice a change in the output end, because of the fiber.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its fine.

Dont feed raisins, not good for dogs, or grapes. Otherwise its all ok.

There IS good stuff in fruit and veg for dogs, however they dont have teh ability to break down cellulose so fed whole much of the beneficial stuff contained in fruit and veg is not available to the dog...

In short it will go out pretty much the same as it went in.

If you are feeding more than just as treats, blend using a foodprocessor, a good mix of fruit and veg, getting a nice balance between sweeter stuff and bitter dark green leafy veg.

I do this, and i make enough for four dogs for a month, which is quite a lot. Then i bag it up and freeze it.

The blending and the freezing break down the cellulose so the dog can digest the fruit and veg.

It does look revolting though!
RoddyB

Post by RoddyB »

Many thanks - knew I could rely on you guys for a speedy answer!
Roddy
Christine

Post by Christine »

emmabeth wrote:
Dont feed raisins, not good for dogs, or grapes. Otherwise its all ok.
My dogs love(d) frozen grapes, we would use those as treats, for us and the dogs. Right up until we said something about it to our vet. He said something about it can build up toxicity in the dogs.
"I wish to speak a word for Nature, for absolute freedom and wildness, as contrasted with a freedom and culture merely civil, — to regard man as an inhabitant, or a part and parcel of Nature, rather than a member of society." - Henry David Thoreau
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Also arent strawberry's meant to bad for dogs, and chocolate as well.
So, all those lovely chocolate covered strawberry's I was saving for the dogs..... I WILL JUST HAVE TO SCOFF ALL TO MYSELF THEN :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Yes, Maggie, it's a sad and terrible sacrifice you'll have to make for the sake of your dogs--all those awful chocolate-covered strawberries. I shall weep for your suffering! :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Never heard that strawberries are not ok, although i think some dogs can be allergic to them?.... will look that one up.

Chocolate big nono! its poisonous and even a small amount can kill, the higher the cocoa solid content, the more dangerous the chocolate.