Itchy Skin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Itchy Skin

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Dogs sometimes have allergies for certain tipes food.

Is it possible when on the raw food diet?

I'm asking because Bibi has developed two spots that's really itchy, red - ish and I think it may hurt as well. There's also some hairloss in the two spots.

We are taking her to the vet, BUT MY VET HAS NO IDEA WHAT A RAW FOOD DIET IS, so I'm guessing he'll blame the diet, so I want to be ready for him.

(I don't think he is the best vet ever *we have had some issues - don't know if you'll remember the runny eye thing*, but he is the only vet in our town, so he'll have to do for now. We are taking both doggies to a vet in another town for full check ups who I've heard is GREAT, but that's three weeks from now. So have to go to our local vet with the itchy skin)

Another thing is, our vet is only available on Saturdays except for emergencies, and he doesn't see this as an emergency. So I also need to know what I can do in the meantime? Currently I'm putting Aloe Ferox on it but she hates it; I think it burns because she runs of everytime I put it on - and I am bribing with treats, but no luck so far. I've started to wait until she sleeps then apply it as softly as possible, but she'll wake up about a min after I put it on and try to rub it off, etc, so I think it burns.

There is no way I can get to the other vet now. I've been up the whole night crying and trying to think of what else I can try. I also googled dog skin parasites and did some reading, but it seems it can be many things. I'm really desperate.

When I saw a picture on the net I thought it was "Flea Bite Dermatitis", but she doesn't have fleas.

PS...sorry if I gave the impression that *I know more than my vet*. I know he studied and knows a lot more than I do, but I just don't think his whole heart is in his practice, and I don't really feel I can trust him.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
***Melissa***

Re: Itchy Skin

Post by ***Melissa*** »

***Melissa*** wrote:When I saw a picture on the net I thought it was "Flea Bite Dermatitis", but she doesn't have fleas.
Just to add - From pictures I saw on the net - it did not look like one of the severe FBD cases. Its just 2 spots, about the size of the nail of my thumb
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

One of my dogs Joe, is alergic to raw meat so it is possible, he is fine if the meat is cooked.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

They are on the raw food diet now for I think about a month, or more than a month. I think since middle / end of January.

But even before they were on the "ONLY" raw food diet I used to give them raw meaty bones (ever since I've had her in other words). So is it possible that she's allergic to raw meat but only shows it now? I have had her since X-mas.

I'm so unhappy b/c I have to wait to see the vet and there's nothing I can do about it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Take some piccies? Where are these two spots..

Its possible for a dog to be allergic to all sorts of things, including raw meat but its not the most likely thing.. more common things are washing powder, dairy products, grass pollens, cleaning products, water treatments, certain vegetables (tomatoes and strawberries are usually the culprits there).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'll take piccies tonight.

The one is on her knee of her one back leg (not sure if 'back leg' is the correct term...well, it's not the front leg). That one was there first - It was a tiny tiny spot and I didn't think anything of it. That was 2 days ago. I started putting Aloe Ferox on it immediately though (I put Aloe on everything). It only got bigger and I called OH ask told him we should take her to the vet. Last night when she was asleep I inspected her whole body very carefully (after we heard we must wait until Sat), and saw the other one, which is just behind one of her front legs.

Are there specific allergy tests I should ask for?

I did read about "mites" and "mange" on the internet...not sure where these things come from but I hope it's not any of those type things.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Bruiser had mange when we brought him home. He itched all over. It wasn't localized to one or two spots on his body. I don't know if that was because it was the type of mange he had or if it was because he'd had it for a while, but the poor thing itched ALLLLL over. He'd drag himself across the carpet on his belly because he itched so bad.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aw shame, that sounds bad :(

I really hope that it's NOT mange or similar. I've read that one type mange goes into the skin and lays its eggs there, that's why it itches...but where would there mange come from in the first place...?

Hopefully it's nothing serious that can be fixed quickly.

Now I'm itching all over!! :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It could be just one type of meat she is alergic to, a friend has a dog that was weaned on raw food and is alergic to beef or as Emma says, it could be many things.

If you want me to dowse to see if I can reduce what she is alergic to I will be happy to but you need to let me know what to dowse for.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Mattie, what does "dowse" mean? I can't find it in the online English - Afrikaans dictionary :oops:

Okay, here's the piccies

This is the one she had first. This is the one on the knee. This one looks better than yesterday
Melissa 059.jpg
Melissa 059.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
The following are pics of the the one behind her front leg. This one is worse than yesterday. It seems the 'pinkness' vary according to how much she scratches it.
Melissa 057.jpg
Melissa 057.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Melissa 063.jpg
Melissa 063.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Don't know if this info is useful in any way:
I usually bath them every second Saturday (in between when dirty due to playing in mud / swimming in the lake, etc), but decided to give them a bath yesterday afternoon. I put aloe in the bathwater b/c I can't get her to lay still to apply it (not with treats, and she wakes up if I apply it when she's asleep). The piccies were taken before the bath, but it looked pretty much the same after the bath.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Both spots seem to be much better today, but I'm still taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Are there any specific tests I should ask the vet to do?
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Sorry for updating only now...I had some trouble with my vet

Okay, so our "appointment" was suppose to be Saturday 10am. (The vet doesn't really go by appointments, he's avaialable on Saturdays from 10 to 12, and it's first come, first serve. But when I called during the week I told the receptionist I'd be there at 10, so I was). When we got there she told me he's out on an emergency, but I must leave my phone number and she'll call me to bring Bibi in when the vet is there.

I never received a call.
I tried calling them. No answer.

So I was stuck. I felt so desperate. I really had no other option as to just carry on normally and take them on walks, go swimming, etc. I still applied aloe ferox. I also tried apple cider viniger. It didn't really help, but I had no idea what else to do.

Now, our town is not very large (we onle have one vet), but we do have a (very small) university. Only a few months ago they opened a place where you can take your pet to get vassinations, or examined, etc (just like a vet), but it is done by the students (their lecturer is there with them though). I didn't know about this place untill yesterday. I discussed Bibi's spots with a friend of mine (she works with me, also have doggies) and she told me she heard about this place at the university and her husband actually took one of her doggies there and he was happy. So *****yay***** :D So I went there during lunch yesterday and made an appointment for today.

The results were: Demodex Mites :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The lecturer explained to me that
- It's not contageous
- They often see it in puppies
- It's their immune system who can't fight the mite then the mite goes into the skin
- Most puppies grow out of it, but some have immune system probs - they will always get it from time to time, but I needn't worry if that's the case, it's not serious and it's manageable
- I asked her where the mites come from and she said that they just are there, you will actually find them on a few dogs, but it won't affect the dog bc the dog's immune system will prevent the mite from going into his skin
- I have to dip Bibi once a week for the next 4 - 6 weeks
- It's not necessary to dip Striker (he def doesn't have it which means that his immune system is working effectively)...that's how I understand it :?:
- She gave me a gel - I must put a drop in every eye before dipping it will protect the eye IF some dip comes into the eye

That's everything I can think of she said. I just wanted to get it off my chest as I have been sooooooo stressed about this spots.

It was extremely traumatic:
- It was about 7 or 8 students handling her the whole time (they let me hold her, and talk to her, and comfort her), but that's a lot of hand
- First they took her temperature anally, which really got her upset, and she cried a little (did they hurt her?)
- Then they took her heartbeat, which was fine, but she was already scared
- Then they took 'n blood sample from her ear (not infected) by scraping and pinching it with a needle
- Then they took samples from both the itchy spots - scraping, etc. That really hurt her. I wanted to cry. I almost did.
- Then they took her breathing, which was also fine, but by that time she was shaking
- They looked at it under the microscope and lecturer confirmed it and explained to my everything I mentioned above.

I do understand that that is the procedure for determining what was causing the spots (if it's not please tell me).
AND even though Striker have never been sick or had health probs, his heartbeat, breathing, temperature has never been taken (neither has Bibi's) by our vet.
SO even though this was such a traumatising experience (for both Bibi and me) I actually feel good about it, knowing that they have examined her really well. I'll def not be going back to my old vet anymore...university, here I come!!!

I just wanted to share our experience, and gave feedback on what it was (is).
I'd also appreciate your opinion on how they examined Bibi (it was a completely new experience for me, and even though it was...'shocking'...I feel okay about it in a way, but I would love to hear what all of you think)

By the way...I found out about prices for vassications, etc: Being treated by students at the univ is more expensive that our EX vet :lol: :lol: :lol: (I really don't care, I just thought it would be the other way around) :lol: :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The only vet I know of that takes a dog's temperature every time you need a mortgage just for a check-up, it isn't normal practice in the UK. There were students and they have to get their experience by handling as many animals as they can. I find that students are often more thorough when examining because they want to make sure they get it right.

You can help your dog by gently stroking the ears, finger on top, thumb underneath from the head right off the ear, this is a TTouch movement and helps calms stressed dogs. If your dog is in an accident it really helps if you do this when rushing him to the vets.

A friend took a Staffy pup from the pound who had very little fur left on him with this, he is fit and well again now with a full coat.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

IF it really is demodex, you don't have to do a thing. The mites are harmless and the reaction goes by itself once the immune system is better. We all have demodex mites and most of us have no trouble at all from them. My vet says shaking hands ensures a wide gene pool for our mites :lol:

But it doesn't look like demodex to me. Now, I'm not a vet but I've been around dogs a year or two. :wink: Given that we ALL have demodex mites, I reckon the skin scrape has shown demodex (as it would) but it isn't the demodex that is causing the spots. Demodex shows as a big patch of hot itchy red. It smells musty too.

D'you know what I'd do if I lived in a town with a lousy vet and my dog had a couple of spots?

Same as I'd do for myself if I had a couple of spots. Nuthin'.

You can carry on with the aloe vera, and if it were legal for me to recommend anything - which it isn't - I'd say that with my own dogs I dab on a couple of spots of aromatherapy quality lavender oil.

It's also not legal for me to suggest you go against your vet's diagnosis, but the way I see it, you haven't actually had a veterinary diagnosis.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sorry, the most important thing is: what is in the dip? If it is organophosphates, run away.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS