Itchy Skin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kaz4t

Re: Itchy Skin

Post by kaz4t »

our puppies both scratch thier sides a lot always the same place, right from day one coming home.
back leg scratches side, sort of under 'arm' I never see them scratching any where else.

We have looked and can find no evidence of fleas, no reddness or inflamation, skin looks normal

Any idea what this may be? any treatment.

From reading on here I am thinking it may be thier diet?? we feed them Purina puppy as recommended by the breeder, but I am thinking of changing to some thing else, any suggestions?

This forum has me addicted, I have almost read every post and article over the last week!! very informative, wish I had found it before we got the puppies.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Rule of thumb is that if you can buy your dog food at the grocery store then it's no good. Purina, you may as well be feeding them cardboard. Any itching is probably the food if you can't see any skin irritation. I like Natural Balance because it's the same formula from puppies to adults. Or you could try raw. There's a LOOOONG thread on that here too.
kaz4t

Post by kaz4t »

Yep, I kinda came to that conclusion, not sure if I have seen the raw food post, off to find it now. I tried to look at the food comparison site but it was not working, will try again.

I will look for Natural balance, hope they do it in Oz

So, if I do change their food I have heard that it can cause dioreah (sp) what is the best way to change them over? I am thinkin maybe mix them together for a few meals? before changing over completely?

ta very much
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My vet told us to mix the two together, like 75% old, 25% new. Do that for a few days. Then do 50-50, then 25/75 then all new. I'm not sure if that's the "right way" to do it or not.
kaz4t

Post by kaz4t »

And now I have read the raw diet thread and I am seriously thinking of feeding our dogs this way, need to researcha bit more though, it is a bit daunting!! sounds like it is really good for thier health and behaviour.

Talked to hubby tonight and he was not keen, especially on the chicken wings, he thinks they will choke. Can puppies be given them? they are 13 weeks.

Don't want to keep chopping and changing them and risk upsetting tummies, but the more I read the more I do not want to feed them poor quality food. It seems to me that even the best kibble is still lacking and I should be supplementing veggies and meat??

thanks again

K
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Your hubby has the right idea about the chicken wings but only if they're cooked. If you're going to feed them raw you're fine. Nettle weans her pups straight into raw food so yours will be fine too. But do research. Read the long Raw Food Diet Thread. I think Nettle has a couple of books she recommends as well but I don't know them off the top of my head.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I almost forgot to give an update on Bibi's spots.

We have been dipping her for 2 or 3 weeks now I think (I didn't really want to, but decided I had to after the second vet told me to & and it was getting huge :shock: ), and we're applying the ointment the vet gave us.

So the spots are almost gone, she's scratching much less, and her hair is starting to grow back over the spots, so I am one happy mommy :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
jellybean

Post by jellybean »

I have had the same issue with just about every one of my foster dogs; most seriously with a Chihuahua who scratched herself into an infection that required 3 weeks of antibiotics. The vet said it was allergies. Apparently airborne allergies in dogs tend to result in itching. My Chihuahua got a cortisone shot which worked instantly and totally for about 2 weeks. The vet said that it was to go her skin a chance to heal. What is usually recommended is 1/2 tab of children's Benadryl a day but that doesn't always work.

what helps:
1) a tablespoon of Baking soda in a pint of lukewarm water sprayed directly on the skin with a spray bottle. The baking soda changes the skin's PH which relieves itching for several hours.
2) medicated anti-itch shampoos

If any one else has something to add, please do. I am sick and tired of this problem.