Timed Feeding

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lady Chevalier

Timed Feeding

Post by Lady Chevalier »

I saw Victoria's show on the little Dachshund that pottied in the house. She put it on a timed feeding so that the dog could only have food for approximately 10 minutes. I wasn't sure how long she gave the dog to eat then it went straight out to go potty. Was the time to eat 10 minutes or 15 minutes? Thanks
<b>“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.â€
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya, sorry i thought id answered this one.

Im not sure, but i dont think the time limit matters so much, as the fact there IS a time limit.

For a really fussy dog id start with 15 or 20 minutes and work down to just 5 minutes.

The time limit just gets the dog used to eating when food arrives, so that their need to toilet is more predictable.
Lady Chevalier

Thanks for the great reply.

Post by Lady Chevalier »

Thanks for the great reply. I have been working on feeding at 9:00 am then directly out to potty. Take the food away. Feed again at 7:00 pm then directly out to potty. Take the food away. I give them about 15 minutes to eat. My older dog hasn't quite figured it out but my 7 1/2 month old puppy is doing fantastic. Thanks for your help. :wink:
<b>“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.â€