New chew toy (cow hoof?)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

New chew toy (cow hoof?)

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

My grandma had the urge to buy each of the dogs a cow hoof. (packaged for a dog toy).

Have any of yall given your dogs one of these?

I'm keeping a watchful eye on them because I've noticed more small pieces that are inside the hoof after they get into it a little bit. I've noticed that they LOVE them! Not sure how good it is for them though. They are more interested in these than they've ever been interested in the kong toys. They will lay down and each of them chew on their own toy and I can do my things around the house and not have to get onto them for rough housing in the house. (They've gotten WAY too big for that!)

Any advice about this? Are they okay if I'm keeping a close eye on them?
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Moobear

Re: New chew toy (cow hoof?)

Post by Moobear »

<M late GSD Seiger loved them. He never had any problem with them but l did with the smell :lol: . I could'nt bear it after a while, gave him a chicken flavoured nylabone which he loved to bits. My 3 terrorists don't think much of the bones but l'm not giving them the chance to get tucked in to a hoof. :lol:

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

My dad noticed the smell with his dog and he threw the hoof outside haha! I haven't noticed a smell yet on mine.... maybe I got a weird one? haha
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Moobear

Post by Moobear »

kelleyanne1988 wrote:My dad noticed the smell with his dog and he threw the hoof outside haha! I haven't noticed a smell yet on mine.... maybe I got a weird one? haha
I think mine had been walking around in poo by the smell of it - very bad smell :lol:

At our local pet shop they sell hooves and pigs ears in a big bucket - looks quite disgusting :shock:

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
Jessirue

Post by Jessirue »

I bought them once and my dogs loved them but boy do they stink!! I think they need to be an outdoor chew only unless you have a blocked up nose. Great for discouraging visitors though :-)
The key is not forced control over the dog but .....the dog learning control of self
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

All of my dogs love them, again I am careful where I get mine, they do have an odor, but I can tell you this, you can always tell dogs who regularly get them because their teeth are always bright and clean. No stats from the veterinary dental association on them, just know what we see through the course of 12 years.